Wetland listings

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by DuneDog, Feb 4, 2006.

1. DuneDog

DuneDog Beach Lover

Where would one look to find any listings for wetlands to be used for mitigation purposes? Possibly 1 to 3 acreas south of SR 20. :dunno:

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I can get you 1 acre south of 98 that is mostly standing water. Price is $320K.

3. DuneDog

DuneDog Beach Lover

I think you have this thread confused with the one regarding the most courageous listing prices.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You may be surprised at the price of mitigation land in SoWal.

5. DuneDog

DuneDog Beach Lover

Is there a way to search the MLS for mitigation Property?

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

not currently, and even if there were a search for that feature, many agents will not list property as wetlands, unless they have a wetlands study in their possession.

I am also looking for about 60 acres of wetlands for purchase if you know of anything. Thanks.

7. DuneDog

DuneDog Beach Lover

There is some property for sale on 393 & Churchill Bayou Road. I spoke with the owner/agent the other day and he told me he also had access to a some significant wetland acreage at what seemed to be a reasonable price. I only need about two 2 acres and I think it was to small for him to mess with. You might try talking to him, his number is on the sign.

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I have a question....why do you buy wetlands and what is mitigation?

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I assume you are refering to Kramer's property on the SW corner of that intersection. Been there done that. I like the way he bush hogged the undergrowth so you could see the water standing on the property.:bang: Let me know if it is another property to which you refer.

10. DuneDog

DuneDog Beach Lover

I don't remeber his name and I didn't walk the property. I Only spoke on the phone with him. He said it was ten acres. I did, however, come across it at this site. http://www.destin-florida-real-estate.com/commercial/409966/

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

That is Kramer's piece. Thanks for the info.

12. DuneDog

DuneDog Beach Lover

In my very limited understanding you may purchase an increased quantity of wetlands to offset the use or development of wetlands you may have on your property. This could be a multiple from 5 to 60 times the amount of wetlands you are trying to use (mitigate). You then give the state a conservation easement on the wetlands you purchase so that they will never be developed. It is also based on quality of the wetlands and other factors as determined by the FL DEP. A complicated procedure so I am told.

13. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

14. goofer

goofer Beach Fanatic

Very educational thread. Kurt, thanks for the link to the Florida wetland site..... interesting. Surprised at the cost of wetland acreage !!

15. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Puts a whole new spin on the old, "Do you wanna buy some swampland in Florida?" come-on.

16. lost in sowal

lost in sowal Beach Comber

I posed a similar question to this a while back. What is the going rate for 1 acre of swampland in South Walton?

17. Advance The Man

Advance The Man Beach Lover

I live outside the Emerald Coast area, however do live in Florida. All of Florida has a Water Mgt District (WMD) assigned to it. I don't know which district handles yours, but they are the ones to contact. They will have a list of Mitigation Banks you can contact. Before you do that, the WMD will inform what quantity of wetlands you have to off-set (mitigate). The quality of wetlands will determine if you have to purchase at a 1:1 ratio or something worse such as 3:1. Mitigation Banks sell credits. The WMD will determine how many credits would have to be purchased. Once purchased the Mitigation Bank sets aside a portion of their wetland area.

18. Advance The Man

Advance The Man Beach Lover

Another thing, I was involved with a transaction in the Tallahassee area last year with wetlands. They sold for $4500 per acre. The highest dollar wetland sale I have seen was $12000 per acre.

19. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Today, I saw some wetland property near Defuniak Springs listed for around $3500 per acre. If I correctly understand it, the mitigation land has to be purchased in the general area of the property to be mitigated. For example, one could not go to DeFuniak to purchase mitigation land for property located in SoWal.

The current ratios vary from as little as 2:1 up to as high as 60:1.

20. DuneDog

DuneDog Beach Lover

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check out this avenue. I have been in touch with the FL DEP and they suggested I buy the mitigation land outright and then place a conservation easement on it. However, nobody at the DEP metioned mitigation banks but I have read about them.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006