• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The DeFuniak Springs City Council recently voted to stop allowing permits for groups to request donations along the roadways in the city. It has never been legal to stand in the middle of a road to solicit.

Should this be allowed in SoWal? Seems like every year we get more out of town visitors hitting Scenic 30A intersections with buckets. Should it be allowed only for local groups or banned all together?

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
Except for the Fill the Boot campaign, Children Hospitals, and legitimate non-profit charities, keep these people out of the intersection (and their children). Little Brittany's trip to the state cheerleader championship, Ashley's gymnastics tour, and Casey's softball tournament in Miami are not legitimate. I love it when I see the parent's $50,000 SUV parked on the side of the road at the intersection and they are asking me for money. Pay your own way or get involved in real fund-raising activities. My parents, for pride's and safety sake, never allowed us to stand in the road with a bucket and ask for money to finance our activities. I have always wanted to stand at the 4- way stop in Grayton with a sign "Going to Italy, need to get away. Grazie mille!" How much do you think I would collect?

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I agree. No different in my mind than a small cardboard sign begging for booze money. I find it very annoying and it slows traffic sooo much.

Those creeping up behind these intersections not paying attention could easily rear-end someone. It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed and then what happens.
Stop the trade before the inevitable happens please.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Regardless of the charity, no one should be in the road soliciting for money. They are distractions and hazards to drivers.

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
Right .... it's not about the charity, or whether it's a worthwhile cause ... it's dangerous & stupid & obnoxious to have people standing in the middle of the road. I can't imagine it's legal and, more important, it's just a bad idea. Make them stop please.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
Unfortunately many of these charities have to do some of their fund-raising this way. I agree it isn't the best of circumstances for anyone, but neither are half the things that go on on our roads. Write a check to these worthwhile organisations and perhaps this will go a long way in curbing this dangerous practice.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Unfortunately many of these charities have to do some of their fund-raising this way. I agree it isn't the best of circumstances for anyone, but neither are half the things that go on on our roads. Write a check to these worthwhile organisations and perhaps this will go a long way in curbing this dangerous practice.

Here's one:

Rich Kids Sports Camps Fund Inc.
PO Box 666
Kidding, FL 00000

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
I didn't know it was still around. I wanted to go when I was a kid. Couldn't sell enough oranges. I, instead, went to Grandma's.