• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Daugette_Matt

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2009
I don't know very much about gov and how it all works, but are the commissioners just going to let our county slowy die out? Business after business is closing around here with no end in sight. Is there something they can do to attract some business to our area??

We have so much rural area that could be marketed to some kind of larger business. Not another Homedepot, but some manufacturing, shipping, growing, SOMETHING that works ALL YEAR
We have rail service and interstate access in the north. There is supposed to be a new airport in bay county. Seems to me that this should be attractive to some kind of large scale industry around here.

Is there anything our local clowns can do to attract some good jobs here? Or are they just going to rely on vacioners to pay taxes to pay their salaries?
I would like to see people be albe to work year round not just spring break and summer.
I love it here and I want my grandkids to be able to find careers here and stay here, but the future looks very bleak. I know the whole nation is in a tough time, and there is not a lot of new projects anywhere, but are they doing anything to attract some kind of profitable, sustainable year 'round work for us?
I don't want to clean condos, or rent bicycles and kayaks 1/2 the year. I would like to see people WORKING profitably all year. We need some leadership and some action. Are we just going to take this lying down? Are we just going to let nothing happen and our community just go to heck?
If our commissioners are doing something to make this county better for the folks who live here year round I don't know what it is.
If this is the best we have for county gov, then I will be sure to not re-elect any of them. This is a time for action and LEADERSHIP.
Show me something. Make some waves. There is NO reason Walton county cannot be the most financially sound county in NW FL.
WAKE UP COMMISSIONERS, your people need you to lead them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
daughette matt, it isn't the job of gov't to stimulate the economy and businesses. BTW, if you want to know something about local gov't, attend local gov't meetings.

That said, http://www.waltonbusiness.com/ has some useful information regarding incentives to draw business to Walton County. One for example, is that Freeport, an area of Mossy Head, and the City of Defuniak Springs, are designated as a "Rural Economic Zone," giving huge tax incentives directly tied to employee wages paid.

"[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]In addition to local incentives, the State of Florida offers seven incentives for Rural Enterprise Zones:[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jobs Tax Credit (Sales Tax): Allows a business located within a Rural Enterprise Zone to take a sales and use tax credit for 30 or 45 percent of wages paid to new employees who live within a Rural County. To be eligible, a business must create at least one new job. The Sales Tax Credit cannot be used in conjunction with the Corporate Tax Jobs Credit.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jobs Tax Credit (Corporate Income Tax): Allows a business located within a Rural Enterprise Zone to take a corporate income tax credit for 30 or 45 percent of wages paid to new employees who reside within a Rural County. To be eligible, a business must create at least one new job. The Corporate Tax Credit cannot be used in conjunction with the Sales Tax Credit.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Business Equipment Sales Tax Refund: A refund is available for sales taxes paid on the purchase of certain business property, which is used exclusively in an Enterprise Zone for at least 3 years. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Building Materials Sales Tax Refund: A refund is available for sales taxes paid on the purchase of building materials used to rehabilitate real property located in an Enterprise Zone.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Property Tax Credit (Corporate Income Tax): New or expanded businesses located within an enterprise zone are allowed a credit against Florida corporate income tax equal to 96% of ad valorem taxes paid on the new or improved property. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sales Tax Exemption for Electrical Energy: A 50% sales tax exemption is available to qualified businesses located within an Enterprise Zone on the purchase of electrical energy, if the municipality has reduced the municipal utility tax by at least 50%.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Community Contribution Tax Credit Program: Allows businesses a 50% credit on Florida corporate income tax, insurance premium tax, or sales tax refund for donations made to local community development projects. Businesses are not required to be located in an enterprise zone to be eligible for this credit."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]*******************[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The problem right now is that most businesses are thinning down to survive. They are not expanding, and most all relocation is going over seas to bypass the highest corporate taxes in the world, found right here in the good 'ole US of A.
[/FONT]

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think we can blame the commissioners for businesses closing during hard times. This is not something that is just happening here.

Several posters keep wanting "new businesses and industries" here, but haven't come up with any constructive suggestions for HOW to do so. The financial framework is in place in the form of the credits and tax advantages SJ listed, but many of the other things that draw employers are not.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
And there are a lot of South Walton stakeholders who don't want the area to be anything other than an upscale vacation area, and having to drive past the Family Dollar distribution center (like there is over by Chipley or Marianna or wherever) on the way in doesn't jibe with the upscale vacation area image.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachmouse, that is one reason why those "enterprise zones" are located in north Walton. There are plenty of unseen potential consequences of bringing in high-paying jobs into north Walton -- one which hits me right off the top is that if high-paying jobs open in Freeport, it will steal much of the service industry workforce from south Walton. If you think service is poor in south Walton, now, just wait until the good ones decide to go work for more pay in Freeport. In order to compete for employees, restaurants and service industry businesses in south Walton, will have to increase their wages (and or incentives) to attract employees. On the surface, that sounds great for the workers, but, as you may have noticed, many restaurants and businesses are already maxed out, and they won't be able to afford the increased wages. They cannot continue to raise menu prices, which are already very high.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
The newly formed Walton County Economic Development Association (WCEDA), just asked and received $162,000 from the BCC. The NWFL news story on B1, today, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009 states "The public-private partnership has a number of objectives, ranging from creating new jobs and growing and retaining businesses to developing a Walton County branding campaign." I'm concerned about this "branding" item considering what has been dreamed up lately. Hope they keep Walton County as a priority and understand the real assets we have. We don't need any goofy, made up names or agendas. There is a lot of fantastic local Walton County talent that should be tapped for any paid projects before they outsource to another city, county or state. Certainly partnerships with our neighbors is workable. But, as many local workers as possible should be hired or retained as consultants for the WCEDA. At least give local companies/workers a chance to bid or apply. Competition is a good thing and sometimes outside help is needed. In itself, the WCEDA, is a new business in Walton County.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Can we make it a prerequisite that they cannot spend the $ with any firm involved in the "dumb orange beach" or "the big blue sign" debacles?

We've got brands, logos, and marketing concepts out the wazoo, time to DO something proactive, not continue to pour money into "brand it and they will come". :roll:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think payroll costs shouldn't be on the top of the list when cutting business costs. Need to analyze the other expenses eating up profits. The wages paid in service related industry is great for part timers, school age workers, etc, not for principal wage earners for the family. We need jobs where those primary wage earners can earn enough to support their family. Freeport seems to be trying to do this, and is commendable. Our workforce has the same intellect and potential as anyone else, it just needs to be encouraged in the direction of whatever the job might be. Creativity is essential. We need to create a product we can market to the world exclusively made in our area, not related to tourism. Our state and nation is in trouble, now it is even more important to put our minds together and get something going! We have to have another industry!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
In order to compete for employees, restaurants and service industry businesses in south Walton, will have to increase their wages (and or incentives) to attract employees. On the surface, that sounds great for the workers, but, as you may have noticed, many restaurants and businesses are already maxed out, and they won't be able to afford the increased wages. They cannot continue to raise menu prices, which are already very high.

The flip side is that you then have more non-transients in the area making higher salaries who are better able to support local restaurants and businesses year round, even with moderately higher prices.

As for current restaurant prices, they really aren't that high in a lot of cases. A Red Bar lunch of fish sandwich and fries is essentially the same price as a large sub from (the now defunct) Quizno's.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Health (and other) insurance costs are a major expense for local businesses and they continue to rise at crazy rates. That is frequently mentioned as a major overhead cost.

Many are predicting that a green or alt energy boom is what is needed to get our country's economy back on track. How do we capitalize on it in Sowal?