• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
My friend needs some help in answering the question, "What are the pros and cons of living in SoWal full-time?"

What are your pros and cons?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The overwhelming natural beauty of the region is by far the best reason to live here fulltime. There is no pollution, not much traffic, and no crime whatsoever. All the people who gravitate here seem to have a deep-seede appreciation of all these wonderful attributes. The cons: it's a long way to Lowe's and Chic-filet.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
pros: anyone asking must have never been here. Too numerous and obvious to list.

cons: I'll have to get back to you on that. There's not many that matter much any more.

Maybe missing old buildings. Like walking into an old city library and smelling the words.
I don't want to hear anyone complaining about having to drive 20 minutes to get a hammer or thai food. :lol: It takes you 45 minutes to get anywhere in a city and sometimes much longer.

Maybe a lack of high-paying jobs. And a lack of choices for singles seeking romance.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Pros:
Nature, trees, sand, sun, water
Friendly People
Culture
Quiet nights
A sky full of stars
Quality eats
Beaches
The anonymity of hanging with cool tourists
Bike path/trails
Family

Cons:
Having to drive anywhere (only because I would rather not at all)
Cost of living
Low paying jobs
Very little for the 20 somethings and/or singles
No place to go dance until the wee hours

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
If you are lucky enough to be retired and live here, there are no cons, only pros.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
pros:

Beach
Attitudes
Creativeness/Beauty
Unique People

cons:
Still trying to come up with something..........

We live in a small town near Atlanta. One of our best friends just got misdiagnosed there. Her father-in-law used to own much of what is now downtown Destin. I'm sure that many of you knew him. If she had gone to Atlanta, she might have a better prognosis.

Same with my husband. He got ill in the summer of 2009 with severe back pain. We decided to use local doctors. He kept getting worse. I was desperate and started googling. I diagnosed him with osteomyelitis. We called the local doctor, and he concurred. Hubby was referred to Emory in Atlanta. We were told at Emory that if I hadn't diagnosed him properly which resulted in surgery, he would have been dead within a month.

So the only problem I see with relocating to SoWal is if you are 50 or older. You just need to be able to afford to fly to a major medical center like Emory or whatever for your annual checkups.

I am very grateful that I saved my husband's life by googling his symptoms and seeing the proper diagnosis on the first page of hits. Scary that the local physician didn't know that or didn't care enough to research it.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Pro: We get to witness amazing natural beauty every single day. I missed every moment it while we were away. Peace for me is sitting on the beach & watching Mother Nature do her finest.

Con: I miss a large, well-stocked, bustling library & a handful of other things that we enjoyed while living in a large college town. Also, I second Beach Runner's views about health care here.