• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I started this thread because there are so many people it seems currently running or planning on running for this very important office. I am curious as to how the public is going to make this decision. I have seen several posts where people seem to be committing just because a candidate has posted a bio of themselves on this forum. After reading the various back and forth, it really got me thinking, just what is it that the citizens want to see when it comes to holding what is considered to be the most powerful constitutional office in the county.

Last edited:

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Qualifications for Walton County Sheriff:

1) H.S. Graduate

2) College Degree

3) Law Enforcement Experience (Local, State or Federal)

4) Business Experience (Public or Private) to include business management, sales management and/or accounting.

5) A PLAN (Documented, well thought out, obtainable and functional)

6) A platform, why do you want to be Sheriff and how are you a better choice then any other candidate?

7) Morals/Integrity

8) Support of citizens, obtained signatures not buy your way in to the election.

9) Earn your way in, not be spoon fed a position that has you appear to be qualified, or be the one who was given something due to a "favor" owed.

10) A understanding that Walton County 2008 is not the same as Walton County 1988. We must move into the future and forget our past (law enforcement, not history).

Hope that helps to stimulate discussion.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
As a supplement to my previous post, I wanted to add, perhaps the most important qualification, that I, personally have for any candidate running for Walton County Sheriff in 2008.

The Sheriff of Walton County needs to have a willingness to fullfill the needs and desires of the Community (as it relates to law enforcement) not on the behalf of Themselves...

New Leadership is needed, the community is in need of someone who will help our children, support drug education and intravention, support our community and local businesses and take a strong, unbiased stance against violent, organized criminals.

The current administration will tout its success on drug arrests, how many of these individuals are drug addicts that need (or needed) serious help? How many of these arrests are people who are influential in the distribution of narcotics? How many of these people are Criminals as opposed to Addicts? Please do not think I am soft on crime, I am not. I do know that the current administration will hang its hat on our friends, family and neighbors who have been incarcerated for possession charges while others who are KNOWN do distribute and sell this poison, remain in operation. This has been the point of all of my postings involving the lack of participation in multi-juristictional task forces and other agency cooperation. While Walton County puts addicts in jail, sometimes prison, other agencies identify distributiors and dealers, residing in, working in and regularly traveling in our county, only to be ignored by our local law enforcement, due to the identification of the problem not being discovered by the sheriff himself, so thus, it must not be a good idea... EGO has got to be removed from this office. Cooperation must increase as well as the active recruitment of quality employees with a willingness to stand up for what is right, not go along with the pack.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'll be short and sweet and to the point. The person who seeks the office of sheriff must possesses the integrity and personal demeanor to be able to LEAD BY EXAMPLE. The candidate must also know that respect - with the public and with his/her employees - is a two-way street.

Picture your candidate with "the Power." If you cannot picture that, or if the mental image makes you cringe, then look for someone else.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
if you know about the candidates please post and keep us posted! I will be referencing this forum for information before I vote!!!

from all I have read and heard over the last few eyars, the current sheriff is not effective and must go.

Last edited:

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I am an advocate for changing the system... I don't think you should "run for office" to be a public safety officer. However, I'm also a pragmatist and realize it ain't changin' anytime soon - if ever!

My "ideal" candidate would have the following credentials:

1) Character!
2) Documented Successful Performance in an executive level public safety position (or major department management with an identifiable budget) of at least 1/2 the size of the position being sought ie.; budget, staff... (being an expert in doing the work of the entity, and running the entity that does the work are two entirely different things).

Much less weight would be placed on the following:

3) Education.
4) Training.
5) Specialized Skills.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I know. something is awfully wrong with the system if an officer of the law must run a campaign to be elected. I think the most qualified applicant should be hired as a professional and retained for as long as he/she performs accordingly. but, this is county govt. it does not work that way in county govt.:roll: this is still good ole boy country. and have I heard stories about what sheriff candidates promise to their supporters.:eek:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I know. something is awfully wrong with the system if an officer of the law must run a campaign to be elected. I think the most qualified applicant should be hired as a professional and retained for as long as he/she performs accordingly. but, this is county govt. it does not work that way in county govt.:roll: this is still good ole boy country. and have I heard stories about what sheriff candidates promise to their supporters.:eek:

The way we elect our officials in Florida is set by the Constitution of the State of Florida, not by any back room super-delegate deals.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Here are some additional requirements for the Office of Sheriff: (Quotes contained are from Northwest Florida Daily News, Thursday)

?He (Johnson) is not trying to hide anything,? Farris said.

1) The ability to speak for ones self.

Johnson is scheduled to speak to commissioners about a budget amendment on Tuesday at the county courthouse in DeFuniak Springs.

Johnson stated in a letter to the commission last week that money for four other projects ? totaling $83,669 ? was going to be returned along with the funds for the 911 equipment and the driving track. In all, the department was supposed to hand back $740,924.

The Sheriff?s Office had returned $697,848 as of Wednesday, according to the clerk of court?s office.

Farris said that the remaining balance of $43,076 had already been spent, but it is unclear on what.

2) A good memory. This is necessary to recall where all the tax payer money was spent, also revert back to #1.

Messages left for Farris and Johnson seeking follow-up comment were not returned.

3) Return Phone calls please.

In its news release, the Sheriff?s Office questioned Ingle?s reasons for sending the letter to the governor.

4) A understanding of local and State government so you don't look stupid when sending a news release.

At this point in the game, just about anyone will be a better alternative then what is there now. Change in 2008.