• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
Are there eagles around here? This morning I saw a bird that was too large to be a hawk and I think had a white tail. It was flying high over the water behind One Seagrove Place so it was hard to tell it's color for sure. I could tell the shape of the head and it looked like an eagle!

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Yes, we have Eagles here! Last year a pair of Eagles made their flight path over my house every afternoon. Their nesting area is the Choctawhatchee River. They are an amazing sight.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Are there eagles around here? This morning I saw a bird that was too large to be a hawk and I think had a white tail. It was flying high over the water behind One Seagrove Place so it was hard to tell it's color for sure. I could tell the shape of the head and it looked like an eagle!

Probably an osprey, but I have seen a Bald Eagle near Draper Lake once.
YouTube - Osprey and its catch of the day

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Yes, but on the beach, most likely an Osprey.

67564.jpg

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It could definitely be an eagle. Ospry look very similar too i believe and kites. You can tell a kite because it has a v-shape tail feather. Aren't the birds here awesome! :clap:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
what they said. Typically see the Eagles around the Bay, not the Gulf, though you could have seen one. Osprey are much more common sights around the Lakes, and sometimes around the Gulf.

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
Ok, after watching the video, I think I saw an Osprey. I'm familiar with them, but it looked larger so I thought maybe an Eagle. Thanks for the info and cool photo and video!!!

jjnole04

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
At around 10:30 ish and therafter a very large migration of broad winged hawks flew over, I saw over 50 in just a half an hour or so. They were riding the north wind off the beach headed inland where they would catch a thermal, soar really high then head towards the south. Very interesting, this went down in the vacinity of Gulf Trace and Grayton Beach. As a side note there were also 2 juvenile bald eagles near little redfish.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've never heard of Hawks flying in flocks like that. Personally, I've never seen more than two at the same time, and they don't migrate. I'm wondering if you may have seen a flock of Pelicans, which are fairly common for our area.