• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I know this might be a silly question but I'm not exactly sure what's customary, so I thought I'd put it out for those of you who rent (especially self-rent). Our condo is going to be ready in January and I'd like to know what to leave out in terms of cleaning supplies. Should I leave an extra roll of paper towels, bottles of spray cleaners, box of Kleenex, full box of dishwasher powder? I don't want to give the impression that the renters are expected to do housekeeping for me, but do you think they'd appreciate the convenience of not having to run up to Publix and get that stuff themselves? OR do you think they'll resent anything that even remotely relates to household items?

When we go to the beach I carry the kitchen sink with me (I mean everything!) so my own experience is not much to go by. Advice needed!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Mermaid...are you using a company to manage your place? I can't help you really, but WC puts out dishwasher detergent, dishwashing liquid, paper towels, extra TP and small boxes of washing machine powder for our guests.

P.S. I used to haul all that stuff as well!! As A renter, it would have been a nice gesture to me to have cleaning supplies available.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Mermaid - The problem is that unless you are going to be there after every exit - the first group will get use all the stuff and the next group won't have any of the extra stuff unless you mgmt team provides it each time. I leave out extra light bulbs and cleaner for the top of my ceramic stove in hopes someone will try to keep the stove top clean. The light bulbs I leave out because over time they go and no one seems to tell mgmt and they don't check that very well. We have gotten down there to find 4-5 bulbs out. That is a pet peeve of mine - so I leave bulbs out for the renters. If I lived closer I would put out a basket full of small amounts of stuff with every renter towels - TP soap etc. - maybe a dozen eggs - loaf of bread and milk so they could get through breakfast without going to the store.

One place we rented from had a six pack of beer and bottle of wine in the frig for every rental.

Beachlover2 said:
Mermaid - The problem is that unless you are going to be there after every exit - the first group will get use all the stuff and the next group won't have any of the extra stuff unless you mgmt team provides it each time.

Exactly-the first group uses (and takes) the stuff from my experience. I asked our management company if I made up goody/necesssity baskets for my guests in advance, would they place one in the house for each new rental group? They said that they couldn't do that.

So what I do is leave out electric dishwashing detergent, liquid dish detergent, an all-purpose anti-bacterial spray for countertops, and a roll of paper towels. So far only one guest took the products - one actually replaced the electric dishwashing detergent. The paper towels appear to be used up after the first guest.

There is at least one huge thread devoted to this subject from this past summer. I just can't seem to find it.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
As a renter, I clean a little every day so it's nice to have supplies available. This past summer we rented a condo and there were various cleaning supplies but no extra trash bags. We had to buy some at Publix. You could always buy the generic brand so if anyone took them it's less costly to replace all the time.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Our rental company leaves a couple small packets of dish soap, guest soap in each bathroom, one roll of toilet paper in each bathroom and 2 trash bags in each trash can. I leave a small vacuum cleaner, a broom and dustpan, and some light bulbs since it's expensive to have maintenance change light bulbs and some guests (not all) will do it if they see the bulbs. I had thought of leaving a big box of trashbags that should last the summer. I may try that and see if they last the summer or if someone takes them. I leave hairblowers and beach tote bags (as well as beach toys)though and they've been there 2-3 years with no problems. I also label the hairblowers and beach tote bags in big black marker with the name of the cottage so people don't take them accidentally.

It's wonderful to have a place that is beautifully stocked. But I think that's only possible if you can check on it personally after each guest. We stayed in a place this summer in Hawaii and the owner left everything we could think of and we'd definitely go back again, in part because of that. But he did all the management tasks himself so he was on top of everything.

Also, if you stary leaving things for guests and then change your mind later and not leave them, the people who got used to them may feel they lost something.

So, I'll try out trash bags and dish soap this year maybe... that would be a help to people.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I am so appreciative of all your suggestions. I'd love to be able to restock as necessary, but we live 13 hours away and I don't want to burden my cleaning lady unduly. So I guess what I will do is heed your advice and leave the bare minimum out, though I'd really prefer to leave out more.

I worried about the first group coming in using everything with wild abandon--I see it was not my exclusive worry! And the point about what if we change our mind about being generous is well taken. That is definitely something to consider since consistency is everything in developing a client base.

One of these days I will get this rental business straight. I'm still feeling my way about this venture of ours. Thanks for all you vets being so patient with my sophmoric questions. :love:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I have never assumed that anything would really be provided in a rental other than clean towels and sheets, 1 packet of dishwasher soap, a few rolls of TP, a few bars of hotle type soap, and 1 roll of paper towels. We have always brought/bought everything. My "beach list" is legendary. It is so lengthy it is embarrassing, and I get teased regularly by our friends. But who has the last laugh when someone wants wooden skewers? Or 3 different sizes of baggies? Or a church key and beer huggie?

Y'all are very nice to provide these nice extras!

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
We rented a house for overflow during the recent wedding and I was surprised that there was only the TP which was on the rolls, no more. Seems a stash of TP would be harmless and helpful! Who is going to use up all the TP just to use it? I can't see people taking it with them either, but I guess you never know. I guess as long as you know what to expect you can bring whatever you need. It is not exactly like a hotel or a resort where they bring new stuff every day.

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
One place we rented from had a six pack of beer and bottle of wine in the frig for every rental.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me!!!! :clap_1: No really, the places we have rented always have packets of dishwasher soap, some kind of multi-purpose cleaner, windex, guest soap in each bathroom, paper towels, extra rolls of toilet paper in each bathroom and trash bags. The place we rented in October had a vacuum cleaner, broom and dustpan. We stayed at a place last summer that had beach toys, chairs and umbrellas as well. We always buy extra if we run low or use up an item entirely. I can't believe people take stuff! Other items that have been available to us were an extensive collection of music CD's and movies. Playstation 2 plus games. Board games and cards. I have never been unhappy with the places we have rented so far! It's kindof nice to have internet access too (at a price) .... Is that asking too much???? We do pay to play!!!! :D