• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Vandylaw

Beach Comber
I hope this doesn't get bumped into the business section, b/c this isn't an ad...I just thought I'd ask folks how important a "private pool" is to you when booking a vacation house?

My house is not gulf front...150 yds from beach in Miramar...and there is a community pool virtually out the back door. Nevertheless, the property managment company just extols the virtues of a "private pool."

We've already added HDTV's, wireless internet and things like that, so we aren't really jumping at the idea of spending a lot more, but if we need to we will.

Comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

dcgoz

Beach Lover
May 12, 2008
I've been renting a house every year down there (Seagrove) for the last 10+ years. I always look for a private pool b/c my kids are young (6 and 9) and when they get tired or hungry they can jump out and go inside, and I don't have to leave the pool. I would think that since there are comm. pools close by you could get away with building a small pool if you decided to go that route. Also, I usually come down in May, and having the pool heated helps a lot.

Hope that helps.

Paige

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2005
Arkansas
we have been coming to Seagrove for almost 10 years too. We have always rented homes with private pools. Never looked at ones that didn't. This year we rented a home in Watercolor that obviously does not have a pool but the pool is only 100 yards or so away. We wanted to try Watercolor but would not have rented if the pool wasn't so close.

I would say if you have the $$$ put in a pool. It is a big part of our decision process.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
When we were vacationing here, we only wanted houses without pools, since we could swim in a pool at home, the pool alarm was annoying, backyard pools are always like bathwater in the summer, and the pool in the back yard made us nervous with little kids around. A pool in the community or on the street was fine, and we used it maybe twice the whole week. I guess we are just weird though - we valued an outdoor shower more than a pool!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
we have been coming to Seagrove for almost 10 years too. We have always rented homes with private pools. Never looked at ones that didn't. This year we rented a home in Watercolor that obviously does not have a pool but the pool is only 100 yards or so away. We wanted to try Watercolor but would not have rented if the pool wasn't so close.

I would say if you have the $$$ put in a pool. It is a big part of our decision process.

You can get a house in WaterColor with a private pool, but they are usually either extremely booked or the pool is a glorified bathtub.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I hope this doesn't get bumped into the business section, b/c this isn't an ad...I just thought I'd ask folks how important a "private pool" is to you when booking a vacation house?

My house is not gulf front...150 yds from beach in Miramar...and there is a community pool virtually out the back door. Nevertheless, the property managment company just extols the virtues of a "private pool."

We've already added HDTV's, wireless internet and things like that, so we aren't really jumping at the idea of spending a lot more, but if we need to we will.

Comments are appreciated.

Have you had a rental season yet? What are your renters saying or how well are you booked?

Have you considered interviewing other management companies? Do you advertise on VRBO, thus giving you an opportunity to "sell" the community pool and its proximity to the house?

I would try another season without a pool, trying new tactics, or try just one season if you haven't rented it out at all yet, before deciding to install a pool. Not only is it expensive to install but it is another big thing to maintain with moving parts attached.

It may just be a matter of lowering your rental rates accordingly, which is a lot better IMO than throwing cash into a big hole in the middle of a declining market.

In Seacrest our lagoon community pool is actually a draw because of its size and features. If your community pool has nice features, figure out a way to play them up in your VRBO or other online ads. See if you can find out from your neighbors how their houses rent and/or what strategies to use. Etc. Good luck! :wave:

tolynne

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2008
I have never rented a home with a pool, as said earlier, we can swim in a pool in our own home. Even when my children were very young--we come to 30A because of the BEACH!! I have rented homes prior to coming to 30A, in the Destin area that you mention, and the blue water and white sand is what brought us not a swimming pool. If the community pool is close, advertise it. That is my experience.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
My group has rented in April for the past 15 years & we never look for a house with a pool. The beach/gulf is enough for everyone! I don't think I've ever heard any of the children even ask about a pool.

Vandylaw

Beach Comber
Have you had a rental season yet? What are your renters saying or how well are you booked?

Have you considered interviewing other management companies? Do you advertise on VRBO, thus giving you an opportunity to "sell" the community pool and its proximity to the house?

I would try another season without a pool, trying new tactics, or try just one season if you haven't rented it out at all yet, before deciding to install a pool. Not only is it expensive to install but it is another big thing to maintain with moving parts attached.

It may just be a matter of lowering your rental rates accordingly, which is a lot better IMO than throwing cash into a big hole in the middle of a declining market.

In Seacrest our lagoon community pool is actually a draw because of its size and features. If your community pool has nice features, figure out a way to play them up in your VRBO or other online ads. See if you can find out from your neighbors how their houses rent and/or what strategies to use. Etc. Good luck! :wave:

Good points...no, I have not gone through a whole rental season. Bought the house in May...closed in June. Previous "upside down" owners were cash straped apparently, so they really didn't do much at all to make the property desirable to renters. We have changed all that with a total redecorating and upgrades as I mentioned.

I really appreciate the insight. I may see what 2009 holds first.

rblessed1031

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2008
Dune Allen
We do rent a house with a private pool. Only because when we are fixing lunch or dinner, the kids can still swim. We like a smaller community that does not have a pool, so that is why we chose one with a private pool.

We located the house we rent on VRBO - great website. I would put in your add that the community pool gives kids a chance to play with kids their age. Something like "fun community pool with kids of all ages". My kids to get a little tired of only interacting with each other.