• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I know a rep who supplies WalMart stores in our area with various products. He has it on good authority that WalMart plans a new store in Grayton Beach. It will be a new concept very small store, the smallest WalMart in the US. This sounds almost too crazy to be true, but he swears it's going to happen. I'm not sure where there is enough land for such a project. Maybe the old "Grayton Grand" parcel?

As a small business owner on 30A, of course I can't stand the idea. Other people may think it's a great thing, as they can save a dollar on something they would otherwise purchase at an independent store. Is this a good thing and in the long -term interest of our community? I doubt it. Perhaps we could be like Vermont and tell them to stay away, or at least on Hwy 98.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from the community.

Best regards to all,
John Farmer

30A Eats

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2011
30A
www.30aeats.com
Say it ain't so!

I would be upset. I was opposed to the Wal Mart being built in SRB. I voiced that opinion clearly and in print! Wal Mart ruins small communities and local businesses. I would get Grayton folks involved, the Grayton Beach Homeowners Association, and the 30-A Corridor Group before it is too late! Keep me posted! -Susan Benton

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I know a rep who supplies WalMart stores in our area with various products. He has it on good authority that WalMart plans a new store in Grayton Beach. It will be a new concept very small store, the smallest WalMart in the US. This sounds almost too crazy to be true, but he swears it's going to happen. I'm not sure where there is enough land for such a project. Maybe the old "Grayton Grand" parcel?

As a small business owner on 30A, of course I can't stand the idea. Other people may think it's a great thing, as they can save a dollar on something they would otherwise purchase at an independent store. Is this a good thing and in the long -term interest of our community? I doubt it. Perhaps we could be like Vermont and tell them to stay away, or at least on Hwy 98.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from the community.

Best regards to all,
John Farmer

John, I am skeptical that this is true. Just today I was shooting the breeze with one of the SRB Wal-Mart managers, and we were talking about how surprised they were that there was more demand from locals for groceries and sundries than tourists looking to buy beach crap. As is always the case, when customers talk, Wal-Mart li$tens. If you have been to smallmart you may have noticed about two months ago they did a small scale remodel job in the store and added more grocery and home type merchandise. I don't even pretend to know how to set up a store concept as well as Wal-Mart, but I can't imagine what they would envision selling in a Grayton Beach store. Beach crap? That didn't work already. Groceries? No way, not enough space. Lawn and garden? No way. Fishing stuff? Nah, that isn't going to keep the lights on. At some point the store would have to be so small and specialized that it wouldn't be a Wal-Mart anymore. I wouldn't lose sleep over this. And again, I will point out, the SRB Wal-Mart has yet to run anyone out of business as the doom and gloom Wal-Martophobes were predicting. It is a great option for those of us who like to save money on groceries and other items Publix will rape you on if not BOGO or on sale.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
IIRC, Walmart has been playing around with concept convenience stores for a while now. Could be they're looking to challenge Kroger/Tom Thumb in that regard.

Akarin

Beach Lover
Mar 5, 2012
Eastern Lake
akarin.com
IIRC, Walmart has been playing around with concept convenience stores for a while now. Could be they're looking to challenge Kroger/Tom Thumb in that regard.

Target has the same small store idea... I wish that was in our area over Walmart.

SouthernBelle

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2011
SoWal
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Grayton is too cute to mess up with anything remotely resemling a Walmart. It would kill the soul of Grayton itself!

Smallmart is horrible enough. That was an ill concieved plan within itself. Walmart does not need to try to be adaptable. It simply is not. You expect to find a big selection there and small mart doesn't have a big collection anything. I have not stopped in in several months so I don't know about their remodel. But even with a remodel I am not enticed to go in. I really hope Walmart finds another place to trash.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I think the concept is a good one. CVS Pharmacy has beaten them to the punch though. Look for one or 2 soon on 98.