What Does Purple Flag Mean

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Wuchie, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Wuchie

Wuchie Beach Lover

My husband and I are will be visiting Seagrove July 9-16, but we have been a bit concerned about the purple beach flags for quite some time. We come down from St. Louis every July, but we don't remember purple flags flying for such a long time. Is this because of jellyfish? If so, what is the best way to treat a sting?
    Thanks for your help!

2. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

I am not sure about the reason for the purple flags but I can tell you there are plenty of people in the water, and I haven't seen anyone complaining when they come out. But if you DO get stung by a jellyfish, meat tenderizer mixed with a little water always worked for me and my kids. There is also something you can buy at Walmart for jellyfish stings, but I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works. I would not let the purple flags worry me one bit. Come enjoy your vacation!

3. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

There are jelly fish that get blown in close with afternoon North wind.

Purple + Yellow flag is the one to watch for. It means there are Cajuns in the water...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

Purple means Great White Sharks and the rare Walton Saltwater Alligators are swimming close to the shore.

Kidding. We've been down twice this summer for 8+ days each trip and the purple flags have flown for sea lice and various other jellyfish relatives. We saw a few adult jellyfish and a lot of (apparently less painful) blue button jellyfish. The sea lice may have stung my daughter and me three weeks ago, but if that's what it was, it only lasted a few seconds. Poison ivy is much more harmful to me than jellyfish.

There was also a lot of algae and seaweed this past week but not the "state of emergency" toxic bloom variety that affected the East Coast.