• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Here's a question for all you SoWal fans...What does your beach house (the one you own or the one you think of as yours) represent to you? For example, I think of Conch Out as my escape hatch, both literally and figuratively. When I/we can get down there, all thoughts of work and our daily life here evaporate. (Like it's so terrible :blush: ) It's as if those spray planes are hosing Valium into the air we breathe. And if I have an occasional night of insomnia, I take my own virtual tour of Conch Out, from the cozy bed down to the great room's sunshine and coffee, then out onto the beach. The only problem is that I seldom stay awake long enough for the beach part. Who needs drugs? (Please don't answer that last question.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Donna said:
Here's a question for all you SoWal fans...What does your beach house (the one you own or the one you think of as yours) represent to you? For example, I think of Conch Out as my escape hatch, both literally and figuratively. When I/we can get down there, all thoughts of work and our daily life here evaporate. (Like it's so terrible :blush: ) It's as if those spray planes are hosing Valium into the air we breathe. And if I have an occasional night of insomnia, I take my own virtual tour of Conch Out, from the cozy bed down to the great room's sunshine and coffee, then out onto the beach. The only problem is that I seldom stay awake long enough for the beach part. Who needs drugs? (Please don't answer that last question.)

Our place to run to, not from. It means family, friends old and new. A place to enjoy and give back to, not take away from. A place we've dreamed about and been lucky enough to have. A place to heal, recharge, and just enjoy. The place we are sad to leave and always happy to go to. The place you miss so much you are on a message board talking about, if you are not there! A place to celebrate birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, new grandchildren, holidays, life!

Glad you get up on sleepless nights and tour your place. Now I don't feel so strange. I can pull up our VT and almost imagine sitting on my deck and hearing the tree frogs on a starry night, with the jazz station on low and loving life!

Great thread Donna! Going to take the tour!:love:

Last edited by a moderator:

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
No house - just a condo - but it represents our future!!! We have been coming down there since 1985 and made the decision 7 years ago to buy something before prices increased anymore - thank God!!!!!! We are ready to move now and live our dream - sure we will make half the money we make here - but that isn't so important anymore - the nest is empty - the only thing holding us back - parents that need us right now - so the dream is on hold for now. It might be on hold - but it is still alive. SJ's comment on 20+ hours for insurance at Starbucks sounds real good to me. :love: :love:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I don't own. Have stayed at Seagrove Villa's and Motel for the past 7 years. Anyway, I think of it as my beach home away from home. It is really hard for me to put it in words as to what it represents, but I will try. Solitude, Serenity, Beauty, Friendships, Love, it is that feeling of getting there again after 12 months and really feeling like you can just let all the cares of the world go. I work in the corporate world so I am stressed some, and it is so nice to let that go for 7 days. It recharges me!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Our dream, retirement home/second home.... Back in the 80's we had a rather jaded opinion of Florida as a place that was being over developed and natural areas ruined.

We had little interest in the beach, but after living in FL for 6 years and making occasional weekend treks to Crescent Beach on the Atlantic we fell in love with it.

Then we discovered the Gulf Coast beaches and :love: .

We only get to look at our "beach house" when we come to SoWal and wish we were able to use it. (It's rented long term)
But boy do we enjoy working on it - in the yard and cleaning on the outside, putting in irrigation while listening to the surf in the distance and just knowing it's ours. :D

Then we look at the picture on the fridge at home and sometimes put it on computer screen. And keep dreaming for the day to come......................

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Oh, you Otter! Didn't take you for a robber baron. But, hey...what better way to invest than in a place you can love and enjoy in the here and now?

Where do I begin?

First of all, I have always loved the beach. I am the child of a beach bunny who gets so brown in the sun after a few hours that she no longer looks Caucasian. We always went to St. Pete for spring break, Daytona Beach and Panama City Beach for about a month every summer, and then we'd stay at The Diplomat in Hollywood, FL, for the week following Christmas. Mom would take an array of formal gowns to wear to events in Miami Beach - The Supremes at The Fontainbleu on New Year's Eve, etc.

Just the sight of the beach and the Gulf brings tears to my eyes. My husband, who was born in Wisconsin and never experienced anything but the beautiful lakes up there, fell in love with the Gulf Coast as a student at Tulane. When we lived in South Carolina, we always went to Hilton Head, Kiawah, Isle of Palms, The Cloister, or Amelia Island Plantation, and kept doing that when we moved to Georgia. We noticed that everyone here took their beach vacations on the Panhandle. So we decided we'd try it. We were immediately hooked. Not to offend anyone, but there's no comparison between Atlantic beaches and the beaches on the Florida Panhandle.

We started rented condos at Sandestin. But after two summers in a row when the pool had to be closed for several 24-hour periods because a baby had pooped in the pool, we decided to rent a house with a pool. Randomly we ended up renting a house with a pool in Seagrove. We loved it! It was so great not to have to fight to get a chair by the pool, not to have to pack up to go to the beach/pool because we could just step out the door.

That's when "The Dream" started. We started looking at property, didn't find any house with a kitchen I liked, and made the crazy decision to build.

We love our home in Seagrove. It is such an oasis of relaxation for us. Yes, it adds a dimension of responsibility to our to-do list in that we have two houses to maintain. But it's worth it. The freedom from the clutter of the things at our main house just simplifies our experience at the beach house. Even when the weather is bad, just to sit on the sofa and look out at the Gulf brings tears to our eyes.

I rambled. Sorry. The bottom line is that I guess you'd say that our beach house is our stress relief and source of sanity from the pressures of life back in our world of work back home. Moreover, the beauty of nature just comforts us and reinforces our belief in God.

Last edited: