1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

what is the best route from Montgomery Al

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Dreaming watercolor, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Dreaming watercolor

Dreaming watercolor Beach Comber

Is 331 south or 231 into Panama City faster/better. Looks like 331 is a one lane road.
    thx

2. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

We always take 331, which is not a one lane road. I think it's slow going through PCB.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

331 will be much faster if you are coming to SoWal. Are you going to Panama City or SoWal? Expect some traffic if you are coming for Labor Day.

4. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

We take I-65 down to Georgiana Exit 114 Go east - follow that to Rt 55 South to Andulusia - then take numerous ways to Florala or Crestview. Rt 55 is the best.

5. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

Yes, that is the best way to go. I'm originally from Andalusia, and that's the route most people take. It seems sort of a round-about way to go, going thru Georgiana, Florala, etc., but that's the way it is. Even Crestview is just a little bit further out of the way.

6. STL Don

STL Don Beach Fanatic

When we come from St. Louis, it seems to be a penny flipper to go this way or just go down 331 from Montgomery--travel times seems to be about the same.

7. Seashell

Seashell Beach Crab

My family visits numerous times a year to the SoWal area. We come from Ohio. We always take 65 to 331, that has been the best route for us year after year. We have looked at other routes; however, we always take 331. We usually make good time, and enjoy some of the sights. Have a safe trip.

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

:nono1: Do not take this route! It is horrible. Take 231 ;-)

9. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

I see RO winking, so I think he was kidding...but if you do take 231, be sure to bail off in Elba, Dothan, or if all else fails, I-10. I can't imagine facing Panama City after a long drive. :blink:

10. Fanceenan

Fanceenan Beach Comber

We have been traveling our way for 20 years or more and I promise it is the best!! It takes less than 3 hours door to door. This is from East Montgomery to Hwy 98/ 30A area.

Directions:

- Take 231 South to Troy

- In Troy, turn right onto Hwy 87, Burger King will be on your left at the turn.

- After about 8 miles, Hwy 87 veers to the right, stay on 87 to Elba.

- In Elba, take Hwy 189 to Kinston.

- In Kinston, turn left onto Hwy 52.

- Go about 8 miles and turn right onto Hwy 153, there will be a flashing yellow light when you turn. Continue to Defuniak Springs. Hwy 153 becomes Hwy 83 when you get into Florida.

- In Defuniak Springs, turn right onto Hwy 90, go about 2 blocks and turn left onto Hwy 331.

- In Freeport, Hwy 331 takes a left then right but stay on 331.

Don't tell anyone!!! It is our secret!

11. STL Don

STL Don Beach Fanatic

Would you go that way if you were coming down I65 from Birmingham?

12. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

We are coming down this weekend from Memphis, we love taking 231 from Montgomery. It brings you right through Panama City, it seems faster to us. To us, 331 takes you really farther west than where you might want to be depending on where you are staying. If you are staying along the main part of Front Beach Road it is very convenient.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  13. CajunJimt

CajunJimt Beach Comber

I think the best route is the I-65 to Georgianna, then SR-55 to Florala, then US-331 to US-98, which dumps you directly into SoWal, only about 5 miles to 30A via, CR-395, CR-283 or further west SR-393 for BMB..

Have a nice trip

14. seagrover

seagrover Beach Fanatic

Cajun, that is exactly the way we go through when going up toward B'ham. The Andalusia way, I've been told, is maybe 12 miles or so longer but I despise 331. If driving at night on 331, there can be lots of deer around Highland Home.

When we go to Auburn to evacuate, we go through the Troy way and cut through Pike Rode & Mt Meigs/Waugh and skip Montgomery. We never have any trouble going this way - never crowded.

And Fancee, you are right, don't tell anyone else about this way. Let's keep it a secret!!!