• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I thought that the only thing nixed was the location. :dunno: I know there was money tied to it if they built only on that location, but now they have moved the existing trailers to the property behind the SW Library Annex, and I understand that they still intend to build the Club on the County property.

true, but they had a fabulous plan for the 30A location, and some butthead lawyer and other residents in the neighborhood did a good job of stopping this wonderful community project. so much better than condos and crap...

CiaoBella

Beach Lover
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks to everyone who replied. Wow, some really great ideas. The childcare thing is crazy. What do moms and dads do? I would love to provide childcare and am qualified to do so, the only thing that concerns me is cost. Acquiring a location seems impossible to me with costs as they are. If anyone has any ideas I am serious about providing a needed service sometime this year.

The Fresh Market is so wonderful. Until I found the Fresh Market I wondered where all the quality produce had gone. If you long for produce that is practically spotless and tastes like you remember as a child, you must frequent this store!

A few years ago we went to Cape San Blas and they have great horseback riding on the beach. Of course we would keep the beach clean. If the horses on the city streets can do it, so could we. Seems like Walton County does have too many ordinances, I personally think the one about no dogs on the beach unless you own property is ridiculous and insulting. Those of us who come down every other week spend quite a bit of money and take care of the area just as if we own property there. Too bad, we will continue to sneak our little angel on the beach because he loves it so.

And again, we truly love So Wal but no where is perfect, we always would like something else. We're only human. I am just looking for something to do that would in turn fill a need.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
A Whole Foods.
:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

And a farmers Market.
:clap_1:

We could have had a great boys and girls club offering all of the above and more but a hand full of residents nixed that idea.......that was the "shame" of the year 2006................
:bang: :bang:

true, but they had a fabulous plan for the 30A location, and some butthead lawyer and other residents in the neighborhood did a good job of stopping this wonderful community project. so much better than condos and crap...
:evil: :evil: total BS!!!! I am sure those residents had children that had flown the coop and didn't care about the future walton residents....

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks to everyone who replied. Wow, some really great ideas. The childcare thing is crazy. What do moms and dads do? I would love to provide childcare and am qualified to do so, the only thing that concerns me is cost. Acquiring a location seems impossible to me with costs as they are. If anyone has any ideas I am serious about providing a needed service sometime this year.

The Fresh Market is so wonderful. Until I found the Fresh Market I wondered where all the quality produce had gone. If you long for produce that is practically spotless and tastes like you remember as a child, you must frequent this store!

A few years ago we went to Cape San Blas and they have great horseback riding on the beach. Of course we would keep the beach clean. If the horses on the city streets can do it, so could we. Seems like Walton County does have too many ordinances, I personally think the one about no dogs on the beach unless you own property is ridiculous and insulting. Those of us who come down every other week spend quite a bit of money and take care of the area just as if we own property there. Too bad, we will continue to sneak our little angel on the beach because he loves it so.

And again, we truly love So Wal but no where is perfect, we always would like something else. We're only human. I am just looking for something to do that would in turn fill a need.

Some people would say there aren't enough ordinances. I guess it's all about different people wanting different things. Many were upset when they restricted dogs but most beaches that attract more and more people don't allow them. Thankfully the enforcement is lenient and the law seems to be aimed at controlling problem animals and owners.

You might check out Freeport just north of the bay for more affordable property to base a child care facility. There are a few realtors on the forums here that can help you out.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

:clap_1:

:bang: :bang:

:evil: :evil: total BS!!!! I am sure those residents had children that had flown the coop and didn't care about the future walton residents....

I know. I saw the plans for the gorgeous, handsomely funded, dream of a Boys and Girls club, and what a great facility for children, adults, families. maybe the neighbors had some good reasons for not wanting it in their back yard, but come on, it's for KIDS - near schools, etc. I just hope it gets built someday soon...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The new location will be near SoWal High, the future SoWal branch of Okaloosa-Walton Community College, the County Library, The Taylor Performing Arts Center, and there will probably be an elementary and middle school there someday.

Hopefully the new location at the SoWal Government and Education Center (GEC) will allow the involvement of teachers after hours, and some high school and college students as coaches, tutors, mentors, etc.

It may also be more convenient for some to commute to.

drunkkenartist

Beach Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
Sunny Hills, FL
www.drunkkenart.com
Well once again, speaking of PC, the answer to the "Parks" question is PC-B, Panama City Beach that is. Frank Brown Park is about a 20 minute drive from 30A, but well worth it. Ball diaomonds, soccer fields, rugby, basketball, tennis, swimming pool, security, its all there. Clean and extremely family friendly. Easy access and lots of parking. Unfortunately the grass has too high $$$$ on it here to use it on parks or playgrounds.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
The new location will be near SoWal High, the future SoWal branch of Okaloosa-Walton Community College, the County Library, The Taylor Performing Arts Center, and there will probably be an elementary and middle school there someday.

Hopefully the new location at the SoWal Government and Education Center (GEC) will allow the involvement of teachers after hours, and some high school and college students as coaches, tutors, mentors, etc.

It may also be more convenient for some to commute to.

Kurt,
I hope your right, but sometimes changes that are put on the back burner stay on the back burner..........................

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Well once again, speaking of PC, the answer to the "Parks" question is PC-B, Panama City Beach that is. Frank Brown Park is about a 20 minute drive from 30A, but well worth it. Ball diaomonds, soccer fields, rugby, basketball, tennis, swimming pool, security, its all there. Clean and extremely family friendly. Easy access and lots of parking. Unfortunately the grass has too high $$$$ on it here to use it on parks or playgrounds.
I thought Frank Brown Park was restricted to league and tournament play, and that the public was not welcome to use the fields unless they signed up on a team and paid the fees. Do you know differently?

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
I would like to see more food service for beach users, either a few hot dog stands or a meals on wheels (cheap !). Only thing close is Pickles :puke:
down at Seaside.