• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WhiskeyRiver

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Bartlett, TN
My husband and I wanting to come to SG the Feb 21-26. Are we going to have to deal with any "spring breakers"??? :bang:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There was a time when spring break for all the big schools was right around the same time. Now, it's all over the place. You can pretty much plan on any given week between mid-March and mid-April being someone's spring break.

Alabama's is March 12 - 16. This includes both UA and all the state high schools. Not sure if Auburn is doing it the same week.

WhiskeyRiver

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Bartlett, TN
Thanks for info. I am sure we will be "safe" Feb 21-26. I am sure the "snowbirds" will still be around but I can handle them. :rotfl: I just can't handle a million kids running around with no parental guidance! :bang: That is why we avoid Destin like the plague when we are on vacation. We plan ahead for visits to Destin -- no running in for this or that -- we go on a certain day and that is IT!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Thanks for info. I am sure we will be "safe" Feb 21-26. I am sure the "snowbirds" will still be around but I can handle them. :rotfl: I just can't handle a million kids running around with no parental guidance! :bang: That is why we avoid Destin like the plague when we are on vacation. We plan ahead for visits to Destin -- no running in for this or that -- we go on a certain day and that is IT!

I know a lot of homeowners do try to keep college kids from renting their houses, and most agencies on 30-A won't do it. Does SoWal get a lot of college kids anyway?

WhiskeyRiver have a great time!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Interesting story from a good friend in Louisville...

She is coming to Grayton for spring break with her senior HS daughter, 2 of her friends, and Will's best friend, who is 13. When she booked the house, she specifically asked if there would be lots of spring break wildness going on in the area, and was told by the rental company that things stay pretty quiet in Grayton. Her kids (and friends- I know them) are not into the party hearty stuff, and they are all looking for a nice restful week.

She spoke to the rental agency yesterday, and said she was rudely grilled and lectured by the reservation agent. They wanted to know the ages of the kids, was told that if the sheriff had to be called, they would be evicted, and wanted copies of all driver's licenses. Also, if they cannot make it in by 5 pm, they can't check in that day. What happens if they have car trouble?

Apparently these are spring break time only policies, but she was not made aware of them when she booked the house, even after asking specific spring break- related questions. The agent accused her of lying, saying that everyone was told. Well, Holly wasn't. And I am embarrassed that one of my friends was treated so horribly in my new town- she said she felt like a criminal.

I totally understand the reasons for the spring break policies, but did the agent have to be so dam* ugly? Holly has been renting from this company for several years- is that a good way to treat a returning customer? These rules and concerns can be discussed with customers- they don't have to be crammed down their throats (or in their ear.)

I know you owners are in a quandry about the spring break stuff- I have read the threads and heard the stories, and it is terrible what has happened in some places. But you might want to know that if your management company is being ugly to nice renters now, those renters might not rent again through that company later in the year, or ever.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Most... and I mean 90% of all rental agencies out here do not allow anyone under the age of 25 to book a home or condo without a marriage certificate (to allow for young honeymooners). My dad owned a small resort out in Destin and I handled the front desk/rentals and we had the same policies.

So, to circumvent that, a lot of parents will try to rent the unit and then just send their kids to check in OR... they'll actually drive down and check the kids in and then leave!!

So, that's why everyone gets rudely grilled and threatened, it's a shame, and there's no excuse to be rude about it, but sometimes it comes off that way (that you're accusing them of lying). But, if you end up with a unit being destroyed because you didn't delve deep enough into the "issues", then you've got a very angry owner to contend with who will most likely pull their unit from the rental program all together :sosad:

But, in the end that's why we don't end up with a lot of SBers in SoWal... since there's not really any hotels (they usually don't have these policies) here and the rental agencies have these policies, we don't end up in that quandry. For the most part, Destin agencies are exactly the same way. THe difference is the number of hotels vs. private rentals.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
If she has been renting from this same company for a few years I would go back and try to remember who she talked to in the past and call that person. If that didn't get any satisfaction, I would call then ask for the manager and explain the situation and try to get some satisfaction that way.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
If she has been renting from this same company for a few years I would go back and try to remember who she talked to in the past and call that person. If that didn't get any satisfaction, I would call then ask for the manager and explain the situation and try to get some satisfaction that way.

I think her biggest concern now is making it here by 5 pm on check in day, and being treated respectfully when she gets here.

Actually, I am concerned about the checkin time too- but I guess if they don't make it here in time, 6 people can sleep on our floor.:blink:

It's funny- I think this agency is on a roll - when Mom was here over the holidays, she received a really rude phone call the day before she left. The agent told her in a threatening voice that she "needed to be out by 10 am sharp or pay a penalty." Hello! Here is a person that has been renting from them for years!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
jdarg...what is so magic about 5pm?