1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

What new restaurants do you want?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by seagrovechick, Mar 18, 2005.

1. seagrovechick

seagrovechick Beach Comber

Thinking of opening a fast-casual restaurant by the Publix in Watercolor with counter service vs. waitstaff and reasonable prices (at least for this area!). Would love your opinion on what you think the area needs. Examples are Pizza, Mexican, Burgers, Chinese, etc. Thanks!

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Seems like there is a great desire for a grilled cheese stand. Personally, I think the type of restaurant depends on the quality of the food. A great Chinese Chef does not necessarily make great pizzas.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Grilled cheese. :floor:

It looks like the Thai Cafe won't be re-opening, :sosad: so Thai food is what I want. Finding a chef is the difficult part. Probably easier to do chinese.

Really good fried box takeouts would be a huge hit with the local work crowd and vacationers - seafood and chicken boxes, with one or two sandwhich offers. You'd be competing with Publix so yours would have to be better at not too much higher price.

4. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

GUARANTEED: if you open a California-style make-your-own burrito type place, it's a no-brainer. Everyone likes it, and there's no competition here for this. Chains such as Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, etc. are the example, and they do incredible business wherever they open. You get to choose your meat (beef, chicken, etc), add any veggies you want (grilled onions, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, olives, whatever) and cheese, then have it wrapped up in tortillas and grilled. Low overhead for you, and easy to take out for us---which would be excellent, being right next to the Publix.

Thai would be great too, but the burrito idea requires less money to get underway, because the decor can be basic and you don't need gourmet chefs to make it. Of course, if you can find a *good* Thai cook, go for that too!

Hope this sparks an idea for you....;) Kt

5. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

There is already a Moe's next to the Sandestin Publix. The same family owns a second Moe's next to Big Kahuna's in Destin. I believe they have the franchise rites for this area.

A place that sells great burgers and chicken sandwiches has my vote--something to take the place of the Seagrove Village Market because they are closing. You could also offer grilled cheese.

Chinese would be great too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

They also have one in Ft Walton. Funny thing is that Moe's had originally decided to go in next to Publix in WaterColor, but got scared, and backed out, before later deciding to go into Sandestin.

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Seagrove Market is not closing.

8. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

That is good to know! I thought with the proposed redeveopment of that block that it was going to close for awhile, but eventually reopen???

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  9. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

1) McDonalds
    2) Burger King
    3) Wendys

(Just kidding).

The area definitely needs a good, reasonably priced burrito place.

10. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

You forgot Red Lobster :D

11. Philip_Atlanta

Philip_Atlanta Beach Lover

Burrito place would be great!

12. mystikwarrior

mystikwarrior Beach Crab

NOT kidding. What's wrong with fast food? It's fast, and it's food. To heck with trendy and hoity-toity tourist traps, we have plenty of those already. Sometimes I just want to grab a quick meal at the drive-thru for the kids. I just don't want to have to drive to Destin to do it. Nothing 'quick' about that.

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I dont want a trendy and hoity-toity tourist trap either, but we definitely do not need another place that sells overly processed crap, like the franchises you mention. If you are in such a hurry to feed the kids, go back to Atlanta or wherever. My philosophy is, "relax, you're at the Beach."
    I guess you also think that we need a Super Wal-ly-World conveniently located north of Grayton Beach, so that you can have cheap crapola in close proximity to your place.

Sure there are some conveniences sacrificed by not having the big franchises, but they exisit elsewhere, and unfortunately, they will be here too in the near future. I think it is a shame that we cannot try to escape from our comfort zone, even for a week or two at a time. Why not try something different for a change. Maybe you will open your child's eyes to a new world.

14. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Preach on Brother!! :mad: Harumph!!!! :mad: Has anybody seen the move Super Size Me :idontno: ? McD's laces their food with sugar and other chemicals (much like the tobacco companies) to keep you coming back, actually they keep you addicted :mad: (I'm just sure I spelt some of this rant wrong :oops: ) We live within 8 minutes of all the chains in the Nooga and I won't let my kids eat that crap either. I say keep the crap out of South Walton! Have you ever been to a Walmart? The minute you leave you get the urge to go to the trough at Ryans and eat the crap they serve :eek: ! The same stuff everybody is sneezing and burping all over :eek: ! No thank you :mad: ! Sorry if I ofended anyone :oops:

P.S. Sorry still on the Rant!! Heck! That's why we come to 30A is to get away form the stupid chain restaurants! :mad:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

No need to applogize for the things you believe to be true. So many people need the instant fix to keep the kids from yelling and screaming. Reminder-- They are just kids! Kids are supposed to do that stuff. No need to shove a DVD in the player, or a Cheeseburger, Fries, and Sundae in their mouths.

I have not seen the movie, but here that it is an interesting documentary. I will put it on my list of things to view one day.

16. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

:oops: :oops: We do have a DVD player in the truck :oops: :oops: Hey sue me! It's a 6 hour drive :idontno:

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

18. Waterman

Waterman Beach Lover

:bang:
    Anger management...... :bang:

19. SoWalSally

SoWalSally Beach Fanatic

I vote for fast food that's healthy. Rice dishes, wraps, salads, sandwiches. Market good food as a healthy alternative and you'll have a built-in market. Like the Organic Cafe was in Blue Mountain. Make picnic specials for families going on or coming off the beach.

20. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

Not just a restaurants but a great market for prepared take out foods. Great pies, ribs, and honey ham to die for. Whole Food Market. www.wholefoods.com. Think of Whole Foods as a super deli with prepared foods. At least you could enjoy the beach and not have to cook. Then at least my Lab would have a little room in the SUV on the return trips from Atlanta. My wife packs so much from this market there is not enough room in the SUV for me or the poor dog. At least it would give Publix some competition. Go to their web site and request a store in our location along 30A. And my dogs says thanks.

The Hutch