• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
By the way we inherited a building that has many faults (we are spending every extra dime making it better), one of them is 2.3 inches rise from porch to the inside, we are actually do not have to do anything to that as we are grandfathered inn just like many other places in our country, we have an excellent ramp to take guest up thru the 2 feet rise to the porch.

We have been harassed for the past 2 month by this gentleman (............) about those 2.3 inches, after I carried his wheels personally above that entrance and he received a free meal.

The day before yesterday he caused a scene while other guests tried to help him that he is filling a complaint yelling that this place not in complience, I offered that he is welcomed in all our outdoor area till I have time to build what is comfortable correctly and I will, he said he does not want to eat he is here to take pictures, and he was screaming with anger.

Other guests (all enjoying the outside Porch dinning) were so shocked and told how gracious we always are with every client.

What will you do if you were in my shoe

Last edited:
I don't know anything about this, but there are exceptions for small businesses. In the attachment http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/smallbusiness/smallbusprimer2010.htm#newcustomers there is a drawing of what appears to be your problem. Also note in another diagram that your offer to help the customer up the 2.3 inch doorway is compliant. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

I'll bet there's someone on this message board who has expertise in this and can offer you some advice, either in a post or by PM.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I believe you can get a threshold transition and solve the issue. It is a short angled piece that goes in front of the door and would bring the measurable change in height into compliance. I would doublecheck with the building department, but think that solves it legally.

Google "ada threshold transitions" or "threshold ramps".

Last edited:
Thanks, I read this article, here is one paragraph of interest

Determining what is readily achievable will vary from business to business and sometimes from one year to the next. Changing economic conditions can be taken into consideration in determining what is readily achievable. Economic downturns may force many public accommodations to postpone removing some barriers. The barrier removal obligation is a continuing one and it is expected that a business will move forward with its barrier removal efforts when it rebounds from such downturns. For example, if a restaurant identified barriers under the 1991 Standards but did not remove them because it could not afford the cost, the restaurant has a continuing obligation to remove these barriers when it has the financial resources to do so.

Here is another
In some instances, especially in older buildings, it may not be readily achievable to remove some architectural barriers. For example, a restaurant with several steps leading to its entrance may determine that it cannot afford to install a ramp or a lift. In this situation, the restaurant must provide its services in another way if that is readily achievable, such as providing takeout service. Businesses should train staff on these alternatives and publicize them so customers with disabilities will know of their availability and how to access them..

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I would print that out and hand it to this "gentleman".

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
Well marie based on public information you or your landlord bought that whole building for a song and dance or about 80% cheaper than the last owner paid. So to think you could buy a building that cheap and not put a few hundred k in renovations was naive

huskerfan

Beach Lover
Aug 12, 2006
I'm not sure why the price Marie's paid for the building is relevant to this thread. If they got a good deal on the building-good for them. I have been to Marie's a few times over the years and I'm guessing they have spent more than a few "k" in renovations. I think it would be hard to find another restaurant owner more caring or attentive than this one. Keep up the good work Hanie.

We are grateful for the opportunity we were giving, we have spent and will keep on spending all we can so it will be better for all our guests, everyone thought we were crazy to start our Bistro two & half years ago when all buildings were empty
we have put inn at least 300k in renovations so far, it is very hard to do it before the season when cash flow is very limited toward the end of spring, our family lost over 4 million dollars when the real state market crashed we are not mad about it and take it out on other people, we work daily to improve our lives and the employees God Sends our way