• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
just wondering about the range of dishes that people make during the holidays, on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Hannakah, etc.

since we've started staying home every christmas, we've not really established any of our own christmas food traditions, kind of different every year. however, we have always enjoyed various traditions at our parents homes over the years, such as fresh Italian sausage with white bread and fresh lemon juice, roast goose and riced potatoes, christmas morning egg casseroles, etc. Both chocolate and vanilla biscotti with nuts (these are soft biscotti, more like cookies).

A few years ago I did roast duck and loved it (far better than goose).

I'm thinking about "what's for dinner" on Christmas. would like to hear what you all love to dine on...

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Toots: I make my big meal on Christmas Eve. I'm thinking this year, I'll throw out all the old traditional dishes (turkey, ham, etc.), although I am still contemplating that brining thing. I'd really like to make a big standing rib roast with some new side dishes. Can't wait to hear what everyone says. Food Channel has had some interesting ideas too.

I was thinking leg of lamb on the grill.
But I am not sure. I too do the big meal on Christmas Eve. In the past we've done roast beef and Yorkshire pudding; I have had one success and one flop with the Yorkshire pudding--perhaps I should try again? Hmm.
Just found out we might have my brother in law and his girlfriend which would be fun.
The kid asked if we could have sherry trifle for dessert so I will probably make that. I use the recipe from Silver Palate.
I usually cook latkes for Hanukkah. The house stinks for days but they taste so good. Alas, my cuisinart is *still* in storage and I refuse to grate the potatoes by hand.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Pomegranate Juice Sparkling Cocktails
Oysters with Bloody Mary Sorbet Topping
Chicken Liver Pate with Cornichons on Baguette
Cheese Straws

Roasted Turducken with Mushroom Sauce
Roasted Tenderloin of Beef with Two Sauces:
Horseradish and Bernaise
Roasted Potatoes
Haricots Vert with Roasted Walnut Halves

Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon

Buche de Noel with Meringue Mushrooms
Chocolate Wafer/Ginger Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches

Demitasse of Rich Hot Chocolate
Schramsberg Sparkling Wine
Espresso

Last edited by a moderator:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Pomegranate Juice Sparkling Cocktails
Oysters with Bloody Mary Sorbet Topping
Chicken Liver Pate with Cornichons on Baguette
Cheese Straws

Roasted Turducken with Mushroom Sauce
Roasted Tenderloin of Beef with Two Sauces:
Horseradish and Bernaise
Roasted Potatoes
Haricots Vert with Roasted Walnut Halves

Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon

Buche de Noel with Meringue Mushrooms
Chocolate Wafer/Ginger Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches

Demitasse of Rich Hot Chocolate
Schramsberg Sparkling Wine
Espresso

what time?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The Turducken is back!!!! :clap_1:

Oddly enough, our Christmas routine will not be changing alot, even though we moved 600+ miles away. We always spent Christmas Eve dinner with my mother's side, and we will this year too since my aunt and uncle live in Sandestin, and my mom and brother will be down here.

Christmas Day was always Dad's side, and my parents had the Christmas Day lunch. After Dad died, it bounced between mom's house and our house. This year, I'm having either lunch or dinner ( pros and cons to each, so I am weighing them).

But the menu never changes- and the leftovers are the best!

Beef tenderloin (grilled) with small buns and Henry Bain sauce
Cheese Grits
peel and eat shrimp (they will be SO much better here!!)
salad
undetermined dessert

I would like to make something yummy for Christmas morning this year!

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
For Christmas Day it's just the 3 of us so I always do a beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, regular mashed potatoes with au jus, ambrosia, Caesar salad, fresh green beans, sliced cucumbers w/ dill & sour cream, tiramisu for dessert.

For breakfast I am going to try Allifunn's sausage and egg casserole this year instead of crepes.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
:clap_1: The menus sound great so far. Before kids I used to travel to Chicago for Christmas. ( Mom has moved to Fla since) My step dad would make the best standing rib roast. MMmmm. Now we go to my MIL's and she makes a ham with many differerent sides. ON Christmas Day we go to my Dads. Ham again.:roll: :lol: I may have to think about making my own standing rib roast.:scratch:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
djarg, I found a beautiful Turducken Roast in the Norm Thompson catalog and decided to add it as a second entree. Decently priced, I might add. Watched Paula Dean put one together one day and it turned my stomach! But I always try to have something unusual on the table.

Went to a holiday party here where the dessert was chocolate hot-and-cold. She served this beautiful sinfully rich demitasse of dark hot chocolate in a tiny cup topped with cream, along with the tiny ice cream sandwich---to die for! Here's how the chocolate was made: Make a simple syrup of sugar and water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and add lots of very high quality cocoa mix (Vahlrona, Angelina's, or Scharffenburger). Whisk until the cocoa is blended well into the simple syrup. This is your basic cocoa mix. Add a little bit of heavy cream at the end and heat. Then put a teaspoon of barely whipped cream to float on top of the chocolate. You can also dust this with cocoa and cinammon.

As for desserts for Christmas, I like that cake on the cover of the latest Western Magazine. It is an angel food cake iced with whipped cream, with bits of candy canes crushed into the whipped cream frosting. Very festive. I also like red velvet cakes and Publix makes a tasty one on special order. Butter is barking for some peanut brittle, so I had better sign off and make sure it's out of his reach!