• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
Coming down to sowal on Sept. 5 and as we usually do will stop at Shrimpers on the way in and pick up some Grouper cheeks. This yr instead of my homemade mix I am going to buy a mix. WHat do you guys recommend? Nothing real spicy just some stuff that is not real corn mealy.

Thanks

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you don't like cornmeal in your breading (Bless your heart), seasoned flour is all you need. Salt, pepper and flour. I like a 50/50 mix of flour/cornmeal. Keep the fish simple. If you want to jack up the flavor, you could make a remoulade. Covering up the taste of good fish should be a sin.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Add some cayenne pepper to the mix. Also a pinch of corn starch to the flour/cornmeal mix will add crispness. I've found draing fried food on a paper bag works better than paper towels.

Last edited:

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
I Love cornmeal, never thought of mixing it with flour though, good idea. I will implement both flour and cornstarch in my new mix, see what the wife thinks.

Thanks

winddancer

Beach Comber
Jul 16, 2008
Mossy Head
I've had excellent luck with a product called Andy's Fish Seasoning. Its a mixture of very fine ground corn meal and wheat flour with added spices. Really delish and have also used it for fried green tomatoes and okra.

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
Is that Andy's seasoning something I can pick up at any grocery store?