• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
We noticed on our last few trips down to SoWal that there has been an explosion of gates! I can't say I'm really fond of the exclusivity of gates. I go by them and think "Don't fence me out!" :sosad: Is this the wave of the future for SoWal? I don't want my beach to start looking like West Palm.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I have a feeling that no gate will keep a good Mermaid out!!!

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Many homes in SoWal are unoccupied for parts of the year and a gate obviously helps with security. We have a gate, but its only closed at night. It really does help keep people out who don't belong and keep peoples' homes safer.

Steeleing3

Beach Comber
Oct 11, 2005
Oyster Lake
Mermaid-you should hear the band Mofro's song about Florida. I won't quote it because it's been a while since I've heard it (I just spent 10 min. looking for the cd) oh well you'll get the point. It says something like...
another stripmall, another mickey mouse, another gated community-tearing my heart out. If my grandfather could see this now, he'd lay down and die...lord, he'd lay down and die...
Anyways, your post just reminded me of this song. See ya later-- nice to have met you at the wedding...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JJ's lyrics are definitely moving. He may appear to be merely a redneck surfer country boy, but he has such a worldly voice and nuturing way of expression.

Here are a few more lyrics from Florida:

Now skyscrapers and superhighways are carved through the heart of Florida, building subdivisions while the swamps are drained, making room for people and amusement parks. It's like watching someone you love die slow. They're killing her one piece at a time."

jjeugene.jpg

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Those gates are meant to keep people out???? :shock: Geeze, I thought they were to keep the residents IN...ya know, kinda like at the zoo. :D

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I too hate the gates - but when I brought it up at a homeowners meeting once - I was told without the gate we had too many people going to the beach and parking in our area including peoples driveways and parking spaces.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I never thought of the practical application of gates (so it's good to be educated) but even still, they rub me the wrong way. :sosad: