• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
the bike shop across from beachcrest is renting scooters or motorbikes. hell i don't want to see another panama city with motor cycles and golf cart type cars up and down 30-a. i thought there was ordinance against this?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
No motorized vehicles allowed on the bike path, otherwise street legal vehicles are allowed on the road. Golf carts are not street legal but you may be talking about Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs) which are.

e2.jpg

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
No, he's talking about Butterfly bike rental adding a bunch of scooters (vespa type things) to their rental fleet. Road version of jet skis for tourists and annoying as hell IMO! :angry:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
No, he's talking about Butterfly bike rental adding a bunch of scooters (vespa type things) to their rental fleet. Road version of jet skis for tourists and annoying as hell IMO! :angry:

I understand that but they are not illegal on the road, but they are on the bike path. I'm sure we will see more and more of them on Scenic 30A and they will cause some problems. I'm sure they will become very common on the bike path.

The WCSO may have to station some officers on the bike path in high season. Maybe we'll start seeing deputies on bikes. Now that would be an awesome job.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think someone from the WCSO from One Seagrove to the Grayton intersection constantly writing tickets would more than make up for any budgetary shortfalls.

People's driving just keeps getting worse..................can't imagine what it will be like when tourons are going "weeee" on scooters. :bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The week after Christmas, I saw four kids (maybe 20 years old) on scooters, at the 30A intersection of Grayton. Each of the boys had a grin from ear to ear. They weren't sure about their skills at the stop sign, and decided to skip the stop sign part and jump on the Multi-use path, which as pointed out above, doesn't allow motorized vehicles. I watched them in my mirror as I drove towards WaterColor. Around Barago, they approaching oncoming bicyclers, and decided to cut across the grass and get back onto the road, without slowing down a bit. I'm not even sure if the anyone other than the guy in the lead, looked over their shoulders to see if traffic was coming.

I have no problem with scooters on 30A. I think they can serve a good purpose. However, I don't believe that 30A should be a training ground for beginners operating motorized cycles.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Responsible people using a scooter instead of a car - good!

Tourons zooming around in a pack w/ no regard for safety - bad!

grant blackwell

Beach Comber
Aug 21, 2007
Bicycle COPS

Don't be surprised if we see BIKE cops this Spring and Summer.

Some might recall that when Ralf Johnson was running for his first re-election he put bike cops on 30A. VERY POPULAR, helped that FELLOW get re-elected.

Popularity still exist and we now have a new, young, thougtful Sheriff... We'll see how he responds to the idea. BET HE DOES IT...

Scooters are cool as long as they are on the street not the bike path. Maybe we can get some bicycles to actually use the paths if the scooters take over the streets. I'll trade the bike for the scooters on the street any ole day.