• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
Maybe it's just a fluke, but when I was walking on the beach this morning (close to Goatfeathers) I saw around 12 dead birds on the beach within about a half-mile. Several different kinds. Anyone have an idea of why there are so many? I've been walking this beach for five years off and on and have never seen this many dead birds!

zip

Beach Lover
Mar 4, 2010
I saw all the dead birds yesterday on the beach in Seagrove. They were small black and red birds. Not your usual large sea birds.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Yes, I have seen these birds for three days now in Seacrest. They look like a Canary or Finch and have dark colored wings but their breast and head are brightly colored. I have seen yellow and very bright red. These are not seabirds and I knew someone would post something about this eventually. I also have a National Audubon Field Guide for this area and not one bird looks similar in the book. I have been walking the beach on a regular basis for 10 years and have never seen anything like it.

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com
Northern migration has just begun for many species of migratory birds. I would suggest calling:
Don Ware - Choctawhatchee Audubon Society: 850-862-6582
or
FWC's Wildlife Alert hotline: 888-404-FWCC (888-404-3922)

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I really hope this is a natural occurrence and nothing to do with the oil rig. Incidentally, there was a partial dead bird in my front yard yesterday. It looked like a 'survival of the fittest thing' - got it up before my animals even knew it was there. I didn't think anything of it until seeing this thread, however.

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
Walking from Water's Edge towards east yesterday my sister and I noticed about 6 small, dead birds on the edge of the water. I have never seen this before either. Lots of jellyfish too!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I read somewhere that crude oil is not toxic, but when burnt, it creates a film that can coat the birds wings and cause them to suffocate. Also, that migratory birds also use oil rigs as resting points. Not sure if this has anything to do with the dead birds, but sure sounds like it could be if you have never seen this before.