• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
So far, I've made Chewy Toffee Almond Bars (omc! omc! omc!)
English flapjacks--still in the oven

I still have the following ingredients:

Tons of brown sugar--I must think I'm always out and always buy more. :bang:
Chocolate chips
Almonds
Frozen raspberries
Frozen tasso

white cake mix

blue cheese crumbles

canned corn
diced tomatoes
canned black beans
refried beans
whole wheat pasta (no, LuLu, I haven't gotten rid of the sheet yet)
canned chicken breast
cream of mushroom soup

Jackson's here this weekend and I figure I can get him good and sugared up before he goes home tomorrow night. Plus, my co-workers will love me on Monday. :D

Chefs--suggestions?

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Now DD, I ain't never heard of English Flapjacks. What are those and how did they make it all the way to Texas?

With the corn, tomatoes and blackbeans, am thinking a yummy salsa. Throw the rubbery, nasty, good for nothing whole wheat pasta out! Cleaned my fridge last week - some strange stuff in there...nothing worth salvaging......even in a casserole!

I just ate a mouthful of chocolate chips......forget the dough. :D

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Now DD, I ain't never heard of English Flapjacks. What are those and how did they make it all the way to Texas?

With the corn, tomatoes and blackbeans, am thinking a yummy salsa. Throw the rubbery, nasty, good for nothing whole wheat pasta out! Cleaned my fridge last week - some strange stuff in there...nothing worth salvaging......even in a casserole!

I just ate a mouthful of chocolate chips......forget the dough. :D

They're pretty yummy and super easy to make. Sort of like our version of granola bars. Made with butter, brown sugar, golden syrup (which I didn't have--so I used corn syrup), and rolled oats. Delish.

yeah, salsa might be in order for tomorrow. I'm making spaghetti and meatballs tonight for Jackson. Mr. DD'll be pissed--he hates pasta. Guess he'll have to eat flapjacks. :D

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
I'm thinking make that cake mix, toast and chop the almonds, melt chocolate and drizzle chocolate and almonds on the cake!

I think you've the perfect mixings for a mexican casserole with your pantry goods:

drain the canned corn, mix with
diced tomatoes
and drained canned black beans
and drained canned chicken breast
cream of mushroom soup
then top with tortilla chips and cheese! Sounds like a pot luck dish to me!!

We didn't have any rain at our house this morning so I walked 5.4 miles with a friend, watched a little cousin play baseball then went to Ft Worth to ride the kiddie train, took a nap, went to the Ft Worth Art Goggle and had dinner with friends at Old Neighborhood Grill then more Art Goggle-man I was productive today!!!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
I'm thinking make that cake mix, toast and chop the almonds, melt chocolate and drizzle chocolate and almonds on the cake!

I think you've the perfect mixings for a mexican casserole with your pantry goods:

drain the canned corn, mix with
diced tomatoes
and drained canned black beans
and drained canned chicken breast
cream of mushroom soup
then top with tortilla chips and cheese! Sounds like a pot luck dish to me!!

We didn't have any rain at our house this morning so I walked 5.4 miles with a friend, watched a little cousin play baseball then went to Ft Worth to ride the kiddie train, took a nap, went to the Ft Worth Art Goggle and had dinner with friends at Old Neighborhood Grill then more Art Goggle-man I was productive today!!!

I like it!! I just might make it today!
You DID have a productive day! It never did really rain, it was just gloomy and yucky until late afternoon. I cleaned and cooked, then tried to take a nap, went to Chuck E. Cheese for my grandgirls birthdays, came home and crashed.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
I'm sick of the weatherman! He said rainy all day today, instead it was mostly sunny while I walked this morning, I just came in from laying out for 2 hours-so much they know! Hubby and I are going to Central Market to have dinner and hang on the patio-as long as the weatherman stays wrong!!!

Let me know on the casserole, I'm thinking I may try a variation of it soon myself!

Along those lines, I made Mexican cornbread last week: brown 1lb ground beef and season with taco seasonings, saute in bell pepper and onion and jalapenos if you likes-which I do, drain a can of pinto or black beans and stir into seasoned meat, mix up 2 cornbread mixes (not the sweet) and add a can of drained corn, pour half cornbread mix into pan, pour meat and beans into greased casserole pan, layer cheese or cheese slices then rest of cornbread mix. Bake at 350 till cornbread is done-yummy yummy! It freezes really well so I make a double batch and freeze into individual portions for easy dinner in the future!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
I'm sick of the weatherman! He said rainy all day today, instead it was mostly sunny while I walked this morning, I just came in from laying out for 2 hours-so much they know! Hubby and I are going to Central Market to have dinner and hang on the patio-as long as the weatherman stays wrong!!!

Let me know on the casserole, I'm thinking I may try a variation of it soon myself!

Along those lines, I made Mexican cornbread last week: brown 1lb ground beef and season with taco seasonings, saute in bell pepper and onion and jalapenos if you likes-which I do, drain a can of pinto or black beans and stir into seasoned meat, mix up 2 cornbread mixes (not the sweet) and add a can of drained corn, pour half cornbread mix into pan, pour meat and beans into greased casserole pan, layer cheese or cheese slices then rest of cornbread mix. Bake at 350 till cornbread is done-yummy yummy! It freezes really well so I make a double batch and freeze into individual portions for easy dinner in the future!

Well, I am making nachos tonight with the chicken, made a corn and black bean salsa to go with.
I love CM! I don't think you'll have to worry about the weather..at least not tonight. They are frequently wrong though aren't they? I remember in Feb they predicted a light snow. :lol:

chefed

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Pt. Washington
Use the canned corn
diced tomatoes
canned black beans
whole wheat pasta
canned chicken breast
and make a South of the Border Goulash. Add a little chili powder, top with cheese and/or sour cream in the bowl.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
We had fabulous food and weather at Central Market this evening and I helped an older lady who was about to pass out from low blood sugar as well; quite eventful! We both had bbq, macaroni and cheese, garlic mashed potatoes and a lovely artisan bread (sadly hubby had to finish my bbq and most of my potatoes went to waste); it's Argentina week so we tried a couple of tasty empanadas. Walked around a bit then split a small gelato-half chocolate hazelnut and half dulce de leche-I'm so full I could pop! I'm about to go walk another 3-4 miles to try and kill off the insane number of calories consumed at dinner!

I hope the nachos and salsa turned out great, sounds great to me!!!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Use the canned corn
diced tomatoes
canned black beans
whole wheat pasta
canned chicken breast
and make a South of the Border Goulash. Add a little chili powder, top with cheese and/or sour cream in the bowl.

Man....I shoulda thought of that!! Mr. DD would have been out on the pasta though. Silly man. I'll put this on my agenda for the future because I almost always have these ingredients.

We had fabulous food and weather at Central Market this evening and I helped an older lady who was about to pass out from low blood sugar as well; quite eventful! We both had bbq, macaroni and cheese, garlic mashed potatoes and a lovely artisan bread (sadly hubby had to finish my bbq and most of my potatoes went to waste); it's Argentina week so we tried a couple of tasty empanadas. Walked around a bit then split a small gelato-half chocolate hazelnut and half dulce de leche-I'm so full I could pop! I'm about to go walk another 3-4 miles to try and kill off the insane number of calories consumed at dinner!

I hope the nachos and salsa turned out great, sounds great to me!!!

They were pretty tasty! We had fresh strawberries for dessert. Jackson ate a ton. He's the strawberry kid.
Sounds like you did have an eventful and tasty evening yourself!