• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Before Ivan I'd see pods of dolphins passing by usually at least once a day, some times twice. Since Ivan I haven't seen a single dolphin and I've been down there four or five times. I liked to try catching up to them in my kayak.

Does anyone know what happened to them, or whether they've made a reappearance yet? Kayaking isn't the same.

Last edited:
lenzoe said:
Before Ivan I'd see pods of dolphins passing by usually at least once a day, some times twice. Since Ivan I haven't seen a single dolphin and I've been down there four or five times. I liked to try catching up to them in my kayak.

Does anyone know what happened to them, or whether they've made a reappearance yet? Kayaking isn't the same.

Wow, how close could you get? :cool:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lenzoe said:

Just give them a few weeks when the pompano come around.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
RiverOtter said:
Wow, how close could you get? :cool:
Several times I'd get within one paddle's length. A couple of times when the light was right you could see them swimming under the kayak and surfacing on the other side. Close enough to hear them spouting. When there are several around you doing it it's very cool.

Last edited:
lenzoe said:
Several times I'd get within one paddle's length. A couple of times when the light was right you could see them swimming under the kayak and surfacing on the other side. Close enough to hear them spouting. When there are several around you doing it it's very cool.

Wow, sounds very cool :cool:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
RiverOtter said:
Wow, sounds very cool :cool:
If you think being at the Beach is cool, just wait until you've been surrounded by a pod of dolphins. It is not too difficult to find yourself 8 ft away from them while on your kayak. It is a spiritual experience, and will make you forget about everything back on land.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Smiling JOe said:
If you think being at the Beach is cool, just wait until you've been surrounded by a pod of dolphins. It is not too difficult to find yourself 8 ft away from them while on your kayak. It is a spiritual experience, and will make you forget about everything back on land.
That's probably the best way to describe it. The first time it happened it was accidental. I just happened to be paddling around and they swam right across my path. I got so excited my hands were shaking.

When I was a kid I watched Flipper and wished I had my own pet dolphin, but getting near wild dolphins is almost as good as I imagined that would have been.

But are dolphins seasonal? I was sure I'd seen them in the Winter and early Spring other years. I'm still wondering if Ivan changed their migration pattern.

Last edited:

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
I doubt Ivan changed their patterns at this point in time. The water is still cool, but they're out there - following the food.