Where can my dog go with me?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by BlueFox181, Dec 24, 2012.

1. BlueFox181

BlueFox181 Beach Fanatic

Unfortunately, we had to move away from SoWal :sosad: But, we are back quite often for vacation and I realized I don't even know where my dog is allowed. She is a happy Springer Spaniel at about 40 lbs. Are there any friendly outdoor restaurants or bars? Are there tourist dog permits for the beach yet? We did visit the new dog park in Destin- very nice! Thanks! Attached is a pic of my super muddy puppy, Sophie :) Merry Christmas everyone! GRIEVE-XMAS-2012.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Here's the link. http://clerkofcourts.co.walton.fl.us/new!_dog_beach_permits.html

We sold our previous home in June, so our Pepper hasn't been able to be on the beach since then. We move into our new beach house on Wednesday. So she'll be legal later this week when I have time to pick up a permit for her. Yes, I have her vaccination records with me.

One question I have is the following. Let's say you are walking your dog in Watersound and you want to walk to the Ramsgate beach access. There's a state park in between, and I've heard that dogs aren't allowed in state parks. But can you walk dogs south of the mean high water mark to get them straight from Watersound to Ramsgate?

3. BlueFox181

BlueFox181 Beach Fanatic

Dang- so nothing came of tourist temporaries. What about anywhere else? I don't want to limit Sophie to dog parks!

4. Beach Runner

Depends on what part of the beach you're on. Because our dog hasn't had a beach tag lately, I walk her on the bike path. I wouldn't do that in the summer or during spring break because she might get hurt by a bicyclist and because the asphalt is too hot. There are places on the bike path that have fewer driveways that I feel are safer.

5. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Dogs are allowed in the state parks and also in the state forest. Both require leashes.
    Here are the links:
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/petpolicy.cfm

http://www.floridaforestservice.com/state_forests/point_washington.html#rec

For BR: the state parks pet policy does say no dogs on the beaches, but that stretch of beachfront at Deer Lake is quite narrow. I don't think anyone would bother you if you stayed close to the water and kept moving.

As for the state forest, there are plenty of trails, see the web site. However, I think it is hunting season right now so I would stay close to a trailhead where there will be other walkers this time of the year.

There is also the dog park on J.D. Miller road, which is west of 331 and just north of 98.

Not sure about restaurants but I see dogs at outdoor tables all the time.

6. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Dogs are allowed everywhere on a leash just like any other place except on the beach and in places/restaurants where dogs normally are not allowed. Some outdoor restaurants allow dogs. I have been busted with dog on deer lake beach and Grayton state park. Start park rangers keep a sharp eye out and expect you to follow the rules. You can walk your dog on nature trails in all parks as far as i know. We love the trails through the woods at Eden Gardens, Topsail, and camp Helen.

7. Beach Runner

Thanks! I'll try that.

8. jnealy

jnealy Beach Lover

Dogs are not allowed on the beach in the state park, even south of the high water mark. We used to walk our dogs (who all have beach tags) on the beach from Gulf Trace east towards Grayton, which took us through state park. We did it several times without incident, but then one day we happened to see a forest ranger. He very politely told us dogs were not allowed, even at the water line, and that we would be fined if we did it again. So if you happen to see a ranger while you're cutting through the park, you'll likely get the same speech.

9. Beach Runner

Argh.

10. Chanticleer Eatery

Chanticleer Eatery Beach Comber

You are more than welcome to bring your well- behaved, furry, four-legged children to dine with you on our patio at Chanticleer Bakery & Eatery. We are open Monday through Saturday between 11-4pm. We open the patio if it will be 65 or warmer.

11. Snerd

Snerd Beach Lover

We have dined with our dogs on the patios of Wine World in WaterColor, Johnny Mctigues in Blue Mountain and Hurricane Oyster Bar in Grayton. If you're out near Panama City Beach, Salty Sues allows dogs as well. They are also welcomed at Bass Pro Shops in Destin. Funny is when they spot the wild animals (stuffed, or whatever they are called). This is a great time of year because the car doesn't get dangerously hot.

12. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

Not yet, but the county commissioners may decide to put a provision for temporary dog beach permits for tourists in the Beach Activities Ordinance, which is being revised. This is on the agenda for discussion at the Jan. 8 county commission meeting.

13. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

REPEAT... there are many places to explore and hike with your dog in parks, towns and neighborhoods all around South Walton! You are no more limited here than back home. In fact, there may be more places to walk and discover here than anywhere else... AND if you know when, where and how, you can take a secluded beach excursion too but I did NOT say that. IF you are talking offleash then that depends a lot on you, your dog and where you are exploring - just like back home.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  14. heartbren

heartbren Beach Fanatic

The Great Southern Restaurant has a large outside deck with a long bar and table and chairs to eat at. They allows dogs. I take mine there all of the time and see others with there dogs as well. On New Year's Eve my dog and I were there as well as two yorkies all bundled up in their winter atire. You can sit at tables or the bar. I also take my dog (he is small) to a lot of the shops and no one minds that either. I always make sure he goes pee pee and poo poo before he can go in and he lets me know when he has to go. They are very friendly there and welcome all dogs. It is located in Seaside. The outside is enclosed in plastic in the winter so it is not cold in there at all. Go and have a nice time. The food is great to.

15. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

Shorty's in Grayton welcomes dogs on their porch and has a water bowl out there for them. Just beware of the 2 legged dogs hanging on the porch as well.

16. Beachberbs

Beachberbs Beach Lover

You can dine with your dog on the outside patios at Wild Olives and Cowgirl Kitchen in Rosemary Beach.