1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

where does your $$$ come from?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by John G, Jul 24, 2014.

1. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Looks like big time developer has allowed his bank to some interesting candidates.

Two school board members (yes, school board), have accepted big $$$ from a big time player.

WHY? Its a school board.... :-$

$100+ million budget needs tight management, no?

2. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Who? How much?

3. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

4. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Looks like another big $$$ guy is now into the school district race. Why?

No one used to care about the school district....

5. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I am going to guess you're just being rhetorical.

6. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

Let's quit being rhetorical then

so why don't you list the specific contribution from the evil developer
    in each case. It's public information and you are mentioning it, bust
    up and list the name, the candidate and the amount. No need to vague

7. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Are the contributions illegal? Is receiving them illegal? If people are concerned, I suggest pushing for meaningful campaign finance reform. All I see that this money funds is an overabundance of signs littering our roads. Let's spend some energy hosting candidate forums where candidates have to state positions publicly.

8. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Although candidate forums are important, signs play a significant role in getting a candidates name out. I will agree that it does nothing for informing the public on issues, but it is great for name recognition. To this point, there aren't near as many signs out there as have been in the past, and I think part of that is direct mailings and social media. Will you never see signs, probably not, but I think it is possible you will see fewer signs in the future. Just one guys opinion.
    As to whether the contributions are illegal, no they are not. I think most posters here have issues with the names associated with them. Also they own large tracts of land that governments desire to purchase for various reasons which give local pundits some heartburn, because they construe it as payback for contributions. Personally, it is difficult for me to rant about whether something is fishy or a conspiracy is afoot. I can understand how folks can jump to conclusions, but lets take for example the property for a new school in south Walton. The School Board had a committee established to find property in a certain area. Based on the articles, there were a couple of parcels that met the size requirements. Of those, as I understand it there were some that were higher elevation than others and some that had more usable land than others. All this seems to be prudent when buying property to build a multi million dollar facility. Unfortunately, the person, group or whatever was a contributor to a politician, and now we have a problem because it smells like payback. I don't know, I wish it wasn't a contributor so those that have issues with it could feel at ease. In the end, those folks that have been elected are supposed to be looking out for our interest, and if you don't like how they are doing it, we have the opportunity to change it, if it means donating a grand or 2 to help your chosen candidate or whatever. Beware that you could be criticized for ever doing business with those entities, whether you are a teacher, cook, an air conditioner repairman or whatever. I am done with my rant. Thanks for reading. These views are mine and don't represent any groups or organizations I may be affiliated with.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

WaltonParent, there have been quite a few candidate forums, some public (Chamber, teachers' union, ECAR) and some closed to the specific group (Rotary, Democratic Women, Republican Women, South Walton Republicans). The Defuniak Springs Business Association has a forum on August 6th, and there is an event in Red Bay on Aug. 16th I believe. Don't know how many more candidate forums would really be feasible scheduling-wise, especially since some of the candidates are incumbents and have a pretty full meeting and workshop schedule.

10. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Some missed the point. I would rather change campaign finance laws than to assume everyone who takes legal contributions has no moral fiber and has already sold their vote to the highest bidder. There is no doubt there is too much money in politics. To turn away contributions is to lose. Let's change laws so that there is a level financial playing field and get dirty money out of politics.

11. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Davis uses a bunch of different companies and other entities that each contribute $500 to skirt the law limiting individual contributions. Jay Odom used to use the same "strategy" to contribute thousands to his favorite Walton County candidates. One of the many holes in the law.

12. meggiemom

meggiemom Beach Lover

Same old same old. Nothing will change in this county.

13. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

It is not just this county that is the problem. It is as, WaltonParent said, the whole financing system for our elections at all levels of government. A great candidate without financial support cannot run for office at any level of our government. This needs to be changed and normal, working people allowed to run instead of just the fiscally solvent.

14. weeniedawg

weeniedawg Banned

As I've stated before, I find it unethical for candidates to accept money from people who do business with the county. That's my opinion and my personal conviction. On this forum, unless your thinking is "acceptable" you are subject to attacks, being called paranoid, jealous and other colorful put downs. Interesting.

15. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

or you could defend your 'thinking'

16. meggiemom

meggiemom Beach Lover

Obviously personal attacks on this forum are acceptable depending on who you are.

17. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Kurt doesn't have the time to read every single post, if you feel it's a personal attack use the report button.

18. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

I've been on enough forums to know that those who complain on a forum about how others act on the forum stick out like a sore thumb. They rarely have anything to contribute except cries of persectution. They act the same offline.

Seems like the only opinions they have is the opinion that everyone are against them. You have to put up or shut up.

I remember when this forum leaned to the left and now it swings right. Same complaints, different flag. :boxing:

19. meggiemom

meggiemom Beach Lover

No one has attacked me, but I think calling someone paranoid and stupid for stating an opinion are personal attacks.

20. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

All candidates have rules (laws) to follow with regards to campaign contributions.

Yet only one failed to fulfill their obligation. Only one and no media report on it. Nice thank you ad in the Heard / Breeze however...

No one seems to recognize the hypocrisy in this. The, "I was too busy knocking on doors", B.S. doesn't cut it.

When one reviews the donors that were conveniently omitted at the final hour, one sees something interesting. I do. Anyone else? A thumbs up would be appropriate.

However, I am aware you can lead a horse (even a stubborn one) to water, but you can't make it drink. Some are so stubborn that they eventually die of starvation / hydration. Its sad to watch.

Others choose to " forgive" an oversight for personal gain. While others don't want to talk about their endorsed candidates failure to disclose.

Kudos to you. (Sarcastic)...

You won.