1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Where have families settled along 30A?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by vandelayweb, May 4, 2015.

1. vandelayweb

vandelayweb Beach Crab

My wife and 1.5 year old daughter are looking to move to the area within the next six months to a year. I have been going down to Destin since I was in high school, but haven't been to the area in probably 15 years before last weekend. 30A was a breath of fresh air, and it seems to be the perfect fit for us. We can't wait to make the move from Atlanta.

There are obviously great schools throughout Walton county, but we are having a hard time finding out where the families of the permanent residents have settled. We are looking at things along 30A as well as developments up along 98. We went through the new Watersound development while in town and liked it. There is a little concern about housing appreciation since they are 200 units into a 1300 housing development. I'm seeing lots of home listings on Zillow, but its hard to know what we should be targeting. We don't want to be in a community full of rentals.

Any thoughts on neighborhoods or general areas we should be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Mack Bayou, Point Washington, Watersound Origins

3. nbinnings

nbinnings Beach Comber

Preserve at Grayton Beach, Forest Lakes & Nature Walk.

4. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Stay out of Driftwood

5. vandelayweb

vandelayweb Beach Crab

Thanks for your responses. Do you have any idea how many full time residents are in those communities? Do you live in any of these communities?

6. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

The Lakeplace in Grayton. 50 home community on Western Lake. No short term rentals allowed. Kayak to Grayton Beach state park.

7. momof2kids

momof2kids Beach Fanatic

I'm curious why you say stay out of driftwood? I live there and I do like it. It's not any different for other neighborhoods in the area

8. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Driftwood genuinely does have drainage/flooding issues, and you've got to decide if dealing with that is worth it.

Wages in Walton County often have a big disconnect from housing costs. You'll find more year rounders young enough to have kids in K-12 in areas where you can easily find sub-$400K (and preferably sub-$300K) homes. You'll find the people you're looking for in places like Flamingo Village over by Butler elementary school. Not so much in the more flagship developments- the permanent families are often there but are a minority of homeowners.

9. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Seabreeze near Camp Creek Lake, east of Watersound Beach, is a short term rental restricted community. Many full-time residents including families. I have lived there for 12 years.

10. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

We looked at a house in Flamingo Village several years ago..very reasonably priced

11. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

I would have to say Pt. Washington has the most full time residents and is reasonably priced. You can choose canal front, bay front or a home with water views. Close to all the schools. Very friendly, close knit family area.

12. ReginaR

ReginaR Beach Comber

Dune Allen has many full time residents and we are near Butler Elementary.

13. deborsk

deborsk Beach Lover

Grove by the Sea (about 1 mile east of Seaside)--104 lots, 21 rental properties, the rest are permanent residences (35-40) or second homes.

14. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

I would recommend Point Washington or the west end of 30a. If on 30A, look for a non-gated community that doesn't allow short term rentals and don't buy anything in a DR Horton development.

15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

You might check out the new development in BMB just across the street from White Cliffs. It is just now being developed.

16. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

There are a few nice developments on Mack Bayou. Point Washingto area is nice and Watersound I great. I would say it depends on what you want to spend. I live in Freeport and other than the drive south I like it and there are a wide range of prices.

17. poppy

poppy Banned

I would have to disagree on this. It's hard to beat DR's value and the way they stand behind their product. There is a lot of misinformation out there people are buying into.

18. vandelayweb

vandelayweb Beach Crab

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It looks like I have a lot of communities to research before our next trip.

19. Garner

Garner Beach Fanatic

Vandelay, what thread about real estate would be complete without at lease one shameless plug from a Realtor! Please let me know if I can be of assistance; our family moved to 30A about a dozen years ago and I know the various communities both as a Realtor and as a Mom.
    Thank you!

20. FLFSLP

FLFSLP Beach Crab

Hi,

Let me put in a (late) plug for my neighborhood, NatureWalk, off 395. If you want to be south of 98, but not right on 30A, which can be a blessing during Season, and you're wanting a full-time home, check us out. We have about 60% primary residents, 20% second home owners that don't rent, and the rest are full time rental (although most of the recent sales have been to full-time owners so those numbers may have changed). There are several families in the neighborhood and a few from the Atlanta area as well. We have lots of kids ranging in age from newborn to 16, two playgrounds, two pools, a tot pool, and fitness stations. We also have easy access to the trails in Pt. Washington State Forest. There are a few homes that are for sale and of course several new builds.

Go see Tanika or Eric at the sales office and tell them I sent you!

Felicia