• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Hubs and I have our 10 yr anniversary this May and are trying to decide where to go. We are already planning a SoWal trip the last week of June and first week of July and would like to try somewhere else. We've been to Maui and loved it but we'd like to keep it a little closer than that-the major time change kicked my butt! We like the beach, we like charming architecture and good food and friendly locals. I am looking for a place we can fly into, I'm not in love with the idea of taking a boat to my destination-seasick issues!

Thanks for any ideas that you have!!!!

Vitamin D

Beach Comber
Jan 28, 2011
My husband and I prefer BERMUDA. It provides a level of sophistication that you could never find in SoWal....

cabythesea

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2009
Bahamas - not he crowded part - Eleuthera, Abaco, Green Turtle Cay - or Grand Cayman (hard to go wrong there).

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Kiawah Island........with the greatest Atlantic coast southern city, Charleston SC at your beck and call. Google it.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's not necessarily a beach town, but, St. Augustine was where we went for our honeymoon, and it is a charming place.

Well, since you've been to Maui, one suggestion is San Diego (La Jolla in particular). It is just so funky that the first time we went, I didn't want to go home. Seriously. I cried when we got on the plane.

Our best friends like places with cooler temperatures than we do. They adore Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Cape Cod near Boston. I can't believe that I have been to Boston so many times and have never taken a side trip to one of those places. Just the architecture and lobster there are enough to make me want to go, even if there were no beach. Check out http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/best-beach-vacations/articles/best-east-coast-beaches.

And watching Barefoot Contessa makes me want to go to the Hamptons!

Oh, and Bob, you're right about Kiawah. We've been there many times, especially when we lived in South Carolina. And if you get tired of the beach, you can go to Charleston (love Charleston -- going to my godchild's wedding there in April).

Have fun!

Last edited:

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
San Diego was recommended by some other friends, I need to look into that. We like warmer options as well. I'd like to go to the Hamptons and also watch Barefoot Contessa and think I should go but I'd want to go in a warmer month! Looked at the Cayman Islands and Turks and Caicos a bit ago and still on the search!