• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
Locals...where do you go to dine on the freshest, local seafood, especially shrimp, but also amberjack, redfish, grouper, etc.?

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
In today's world, it is difficult to really know where the seafood comes from in a restaurant. Do you trust the waiter's guess? When I eat a cooked to hockey puck frozen burger patty from a pricey restaurant, I have to wonder about the ingredients. We live next to the Gulf, but Publix sells shrimp which comes from Indonesia. Go figure. I'm beginning to think that all locally caught seafood is shipped out. I'm sure there are restaurants with some fresh catches, from somewhat local areas. Beware that several popular restaurants in Panama City and Panama City Beach were busted last year and the year prior for serving product other than what they were saying it was. For instance, they were selling Tilapia and calling it Grouper.

I thought they stopped allowing commercial fishing of Redfish and allowed only farm-raised for commercial sales. ???

I agree that Nick's in the sticks is good. Saw them checking their crab traps at lunch time today.

Not sure if they are local or not, but Stinky's Fish Camp has some great tasting fried shrimp.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
Stinky's Fish Camp. We recommend numerous 30-a eateries to guests at our store, and when they come back to us, we always hear the raves for Stinky's. Yes, it's a strange name, but behind the scenes at Stinky's are a great group of classically trained chefs that know & love great seafood and its preparation. Hope that helps!

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
The first time we went to The Back Porch (circa 1982-ish) we LOVED their chargrilled amberjack, but it seems to have changed a lot...smaller portions and not as good as we remembered it from that first trip. We're basically looking for that "old" Back Porch, if it even exists anymore.

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
My house if I was a restaurant. I for the most part cook my own seafood, and I only buy from Shrimpers. If I go out, seafood and steaks are the things I don't order for the most part except for Louis Louis for their Grouper, spinach and grit which is great and I have yet to figure out how to make it at home to my satisfaction. :D

Dafish

Beach Comber
Apr 28, 2010
Book a trip with a Cpt. out of greyton for truly fresh fish..Shrimpers is the worst seafood market in sowal.Goatfeathers is a much better choice for raw shrimp..Cook em @ da house only way to be sure of freshness..