• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

swrainey

Beach Comber
Apr 5, 2006
I've been lurking on this forum and paying attention to the fishing threads. I've been quite excited about coming down here and doing some surf fishing.

What are some other options for good fishing other than the surf. We are staying in seacrest and would be willing to drive half an hour.

Is the June grass here to stay?

Thanks much.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
welcome!

the june grass, or 'snot' as i call it, is pretty thick, and they don't call it June grass for nothing - just follow the birds, especially groups of pelicans - if they are feeding, you will be too

i always keep a rod ready with a 3/4 kastmaster silver spoon (no red bit, just cut it off), just in case we come across a feeding frenzy - throw it and gently wiggle the rod repeatedly so that the lure shakes back and forth about 5 inches under and gives off flashes - dont jerk the teeth out when you feel the strike, give just a gentle tug and hold the pressure - don't let the line ever go slack, even if the fish runs right at you - if you use a leader you will catch less fish, but if you don't use a leader then you'd better have a lot of hooks and bait - remember, most saltwater fish have razor sharp teeth and razor sharp gill plates and don't go all soft after 10 seconds, so watch how you grab them and use pliers to de-hook them - oh yeah, either put them in ice immediately or throw them back immediately, if they go into rigor without being in ice, they're ruined IMOHPO

swrainey

Beach Comber
Apr 5, 2006
Thanks,

I came down last year and caught some pompano, whiting, redfish, and flounder. I've been researching all year to learn how to become a better surf fisherman.

We went out yesterday and the birds were feeding right out in front of us. I was so frustrated because the June grass made it impossible... however I knew this was a possibility.

We ended up going over by camp Helen. Caught a sheepshead, a big blowfish, and something else. All were to small to keep.