• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nolaAB

Beach Comber
May 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
Where can I get good fresh Shrimp down there next week? We're staying in Blue mountain. I called Goatfeathers today and the prices were outrageous. I always go to the same seafood market down here so i'm kind of picky and they have to be good clean and big shrimp since we'e using them for Bar-B-Q shrimp. And not those Ruby Reds, I want Gulf shrimp (hold the BP oil please).
Thanks!:dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Unfortunately fresh Gulf shrimp is currently at a premium due to the oil spill. The vast majority comes from Louisiana and that's just not an option.

If you have a receipt from last year I would seriously go to the BP claims office on 98 and file. They'll probably write you a check right then and there.

nolaAB

Beach Comber
May 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I'll be looking for them either Saturday or Sunday, or I might just buy them down here. I just hate to keep them for 3 days and on the drive, it's not long about 4-5 hours, it's doable. I'd have to buy them Friday and we aren't having the dinner until Monday.
Where is shrimpers? I was just trying to find some real seafood markets that aren't exactly on the main drag that might be a little more reasonably priced. I know Goat feathers is the go to but I just figured there had to be other options a little more inland that weren't sooo aimed at tourists.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
I'll be looking for them either Saturday or Sunday, or I might just buy them down here. I just hate to keep them for 3 days and on the drive, it's not long about 4-5 hours, it's doable. I'd have to buy them Friday and we aren't having the dinner until Monday.
Where is shrimpers? I was just trying to find some real seafood markets that aren't exactly on the main drag that might be a little more reasonably priced. I know Goat feathers is the go to but I just figured there had to be other options a little more inland that weren't sooo aimed at tourists.

Shrimpers is on Hwy 98 in Sant rosa Beach, can't miss it. We like going to Buddy's in PCB, located on 79S, from 98 turn right on Hwy 79 and it is on your immediate left. Very fresh and reasonably priced.

MaryAnne

Beach Lover
Apr 14, 2005
We always stop in Shrimpers for our shrimp. The kids went deep sea fishing and caught lots (their limit) of snapper. Shrimpers gave them suggestions on preparing the fish. It was delicious. Also, we purchase crab fingers from them every year. A couple of sticks of butter and several cloves of garlic and those crab fingers last about 30 seconds.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Not sure which prices you think are outrageous at Goatfeather's. I regularly get the biggest shrimp they offer. They season them and steam them and give you a ready to go shrimp boil (minus the corn and sides) for around $13/lb.

These are better than any Ive had in the area and I've sampled most.

Certainly you could find itty bitty shrimp uncooked for $5 a pound but by the time you factor in drive time/gas, all the effort that goes into cooking them and the quality of the finished product- well, if I was staying in Blue Mountain I wouldn't look further than Goatfeathers.

Report back and tell us what you decided and how it was. In fact, humor me. Go to Goatfeather's and get you a pound of the big ones steamed. Tell them only very light Old Bay seasoning. Bring those home and compare them to whatever else you ended up doing. If you regret the Goatfeather's purchase after that I'll give you your $13 back.

Interested in playing along and reporting back?

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The best thing about Goatfeathers in SRB is that I can walk across the street and be back home eating in less than ten minutes! I've always thought they have great shrimp. In fact, we load up at their post-Thanksgiving sale and block freeze them in bags of water so they don't freezer burn. Usually bring home 5 or more pounds...