• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
What eatery has shrimp cocktail on the menu? (That is good of course)
The best steamed shrimp I have had there is at Goatfeathers (2 locations on 30A)...their cocktail sauce is good too. Get some and head to the beach with some wine!!!! :clap_1:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
yes, goatfeathers steams up the shrimp to perfection (publix always over-steams theirs which ruins them completely!). you can ask them for seasoned or unseasoned. both are great. we usually go for unseasoned and buy their wonderful cocktail sauce... yum.

many restaurants offer shrimp cocktail as well (including goatfeather's restaurant in BMB) but couldn't tell you exactly where!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I don't know Shrimp Cocktail personally or his whereabouts, but I am familiar with Lobster Bisque and he is currently being digested. :funn:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I don't know Shrimp Cocktail personally or his whereabouts, but I am familiar with Lobster Bisque and he is currently being digested. :funn:

Okay now, you are either feeling better or we all want to know what drugs you are taking.

WLD

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
ATL
Shrimp Cocktail is the short guy hanging out with Tater Salad (aka comedian Ron White)

To make the best shrimp cocktail you ever ate, try this:

Make shrimp stock
In a big pot put just the shells from 2-3 pounds of shrimp with 2-3 quarts of water, one onion and two carrots cut into chunks. Add salt, peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, whatever other seasoning you want. Let this boil for 30-40 minutes. Then strain out the solids and keep the strained stock in the frig or freezer.

When you want a shrimp cocktail, buy 2 pounds of fresh shrimp from Goatfeathers, Shrimpers, or one of the seafood specialty shops. Put your shrimp stock in a pot and bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat and put the shrimp (with shells on) into the stock. Let the shrimp sit for 1-3 minutes (depends on size) and then pull them out, shell and serve. (keep the shells to make another batch of stock) They will be the most succulent shrimp you've ever eaten!

Cocktail sauce: Find a fresh horseradish root. It looks something like a parsnip. (Publix carries them sometimes and they last for months in the frig) Grate the horseradish very finely to taste into ketchup. Add some pepper and hot sauce. That's it.

This may seem like a lot of work, but it's really not and once your family and friends have had it, they'll help you make it again!

You can re-use the shrimp stock 2-3 times. It's also great for making gumbo or anything that needs big shrimp flavor.