• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This is the only spot I know of in Seagrove that has a problem on a "normal" day. I'm just noticing it recently and it may change naturally as beaches do. Other places in SoWal have a spot or 2 like this. I think it's fairly common knowledge that our beaches have been shrinking and that is why there was a big push for beach nourishment, which people often refer to "re-nourishment" or "dredge and fill". Beachfront owners nixed it because their lawyers told them that if public money created more beach behind their homes then the public would get to use it.

You might hear locals divide Seagrove up into "Old Seagrove", "Seagrove" (or "Seagrove Beach"), and "Eastern Lake". I haven't measured on a map but the middle of Seagrove is between the edge of Seaside and Deer Lake State Park. Somewhere on this BeachCam view, where you can see the narrow section of beach:
Seagrove SkyCam One Seagrove Place

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Rising sea levels associated with climate change? If so,this could be just the beginning of what our beaches will look like.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Rising sea levels associated with climate change? If so,this could be just the beginning of what our beaches will look like.
Yes it is a concern. Also water users in Georgia have reduced water flow in the Apalachicola river which we know is killing the ecology of the river and bay.

I'm also wondering if it is reducing the amount of sand on the beaches in the panhandle. Our beaches were made by sand from that river migrating west. I don't know if river sand and silt is still a factor. But sand in the panhandle migrates west, and beaches shrink from east to west.

It's interesting to see wider beaches in natural areas like our state parks, development and dune destruction is a factor.

In eastern SoWal you can see sand (and shells) that are migrating from Panama City Beach dredge and fill operations which they have done at least a couple of times.Their beaches are huge by comparison but they have lost the sugary white sand we still have.

Last edited:

BeachSandSaltLife

Beach Crab
Jun 12, 2020
Santa Rosa Beach
Very sad to see this Seagrove was so primitive and once protected. development over the years=less beaches to enjoy over time. The 80s and 90s were the best of times. Thank goodness for state parks!