• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lisa p.

Beach Crab
Mar 26, 2009
Hi..I live in Atlanta, and for years we have "toyed" with the idea of buying a vacation property. NOW is the time I say..if only we knew where we wanted to be. So..my question to you locals is "where would you recommend a family of 5 look?" We have a freshman in college, a freshman in high school and an 8th grader. My husband is a huge golfer and we love good restaurants and lively nightlife. Just from browsing listings..I like the looks of the Villas at Sunset Beach, Summers Edge, Grove by The Sea, Magnolia Cottages by the Sea, Cypress Dunes and the Dunes of Seagrove. We really want a community pool..and would LOVE if that pool had a beachbar..but I know most don't:sosad: Any advice would be appreciated!!

vcalhoun

Beach Comber
Jan 8, 2012
perfect fit?

Ok - Cypress Dunes is beautiful but there is no beach access. The others are ok but I think you will find Watersound West Beach a perfect fit for all. Option to join beach club includes Golf at 2 courses. The beach is a 10 minute walk or quick bike ride and the most beautiful we've seen. The Beach Club has gorgeous beach, too, and bar/restaurant w huge pool.
Plus, prices are reasonable but already starting to creep up. Good investment !

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Good advice. Lpicc1 - townhouse, house or condo? Homeowner's association or not (fees)? How far from the beach? How lively of a nightlife?

High Pointe condos in Seacrest has a beach bar. Can walk to great restaurants in Rosemary Beach.

Have you considered Sandestin? Lots of golf.

Ok - Cypress Dunes is beautiful but there is no beach access. The others are ok but I think you will find Watersound West Beach a perfect fit for all. Option to join beach club includes Golf at 2 courses. The beach is a 10 minute walk or quick bike ride and the most beautiful we've seen. The Beach Club has gorgeous beach, too, and bar/restaurant w huge pool.
Plus, prices are reasonable but already starting to creep up. Good investment !
Kurt is right. First you need to decide on townhouse, condo, or house.

I know someone who lost a million dollars at Cypress Dunes due to no beach access. If you can get a house there for the $500's or below, that would be a good deal. You'll have to drive or trepass on state park property to get to the beach.

The named resorts are popular for those who like a homogeneous neighborhood with not-so-private beaches. But the HOA fees are outrageous in comparison to the neighborhoods that aren't named resorts. For example, our HOA fees in Seagrove for a large home in a low density neighborhood 1 minute from a very private beach and south of 30A are $800 a year. Compare that to up to $3000 a quarter for the named resorts. You need to factor that into your costs.

As far as the named resorts go, you also need to make the walk and bike ride down to the beach from the property in which you are interested on a hot day. You need to know how miserable and buggy that would be at certain times of the year and how far you'd be from a bathroom. And are there bike paths all the way to the beach, or is your family going to have to be subjected to sharing the road with vehicles on the "short" ride to the beach?

As far as WSW goes, you have to pay a premium on top of your HOA fees at WSW to use the amenities at the "main" Watersound mentioned by vcalhoun such as the beach club, the golf courses, the Watersound pool, and the Watersound beach.

Just basically you need to have your eyes wide open.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Stop by the Cottages at Camp Creek, especially if you like Magnolia Cottages. They are near Magnolia Cottages (I like Magnolia very much as well) toward Alys Beach on the left. It's a smaller community with a huge pool. We have two side-by-side cottages there and love it there. The beach is across the street (a little to the left, about 400 yards) and we have deeded beach access. It's a quiet community on a relatively quiet stretch of road, and the beach across the street is uncrowded because it's not too near a county beach access. So, we have the advantage of a quiet beach; if you're near a county beach access, you'd have the advantage of a life guard even though it's a busier beach. Why not rent a place for a few days/week in the communities you are interested in to get a feel for them (both in off-season - say March or May when it's not spring break - and busy season - first few weeks of summer).

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
Lpicc1, speaking as one who has owned a gulf-front vacation home on 30a for twenty-something years, and who has no desire to or intention of selling it at this time, and who LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this area, my honest advice to you is the same advice I give my best friends and family when they get the itch to buy a second home anywhere: Rent someone else's second home when you want to go to the beach...or the mountains..or the islands...or the desert...or...well, you get the picture. Really. Trust me on this. Even if you have more money than God (or Beachrunner). Just continue to enjoy your romance with the Emerald Coast- don't marry it!

lisa p.

Beach Crab
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks for all the advice. We have stayed in Sandestin for years and while we love it there, we kinda have our hearts set on 30A. I will definitely rule out Cypress Dunes for it's lack of beach access. I have stayed at High Pointe in the past..it's nice but a little too big..like Silver Shells in Destin. We don't really have a preference I guess..I like the idea of a condo, but don't want huge HOA fees. I have noticed alot of the houses are sold "furnished"..which would be a huge plus(if I liked their taste). When they say "Old Seagrove" and no fees..what does that just mean? Where does Old Seagrove start and end? And what are your thoughts on Carillion Beach?? I don't want to get into Panama City.

JWeaver

Beach Comber
Nov 17, 2009
Nashville, TN
I have heard the same from some friends that own seconds in the area but call Nashville home. Although, it's a hard itch not to scratch. I enjoyed your advice.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
unless you plan to rent it i wouldn't buy

i have a very small mortgage on my home and it still costs me 30k a yr to have it. you can go on 10-15 nice trips around the world yearly for that. renting it to pay the expenses was the only way i could justify owning it. so far so good as the renting has beem seemless