1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Accountable at WCSD ?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bob Hudson, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

2. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

"We have a few problems in the schools like everybody else". An understatement by an upbeat contributor.

3. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

So, someone was willing to pay for an audit and they refused. Beginning to make me think they are hiding something.

4. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Vote yes on august 26th!!!

5. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

It would seem to me if that person wanted to pay for the audit and the books are public record all that person would have to do is request said books. Before some folks (JP) want to jump on the statement above and say there would be a conspiracy to hide, remember they are hiring someone from the outside and bringing in someone from the State as I understand it. I am willing to let the process work no matter how slow it may be...

6. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

I want a forensic audit done by a new outside firm. Pretty sure they will find some items that need correction and that will improve the school's finances in the future. It doesn't mean that there is something criminal, just that a more extensive review is necessary.

7. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

The audit done by the state is not a forensic audit. It is a basic "agreed upon procedures" review. Not nearly as thorough as a forensic audit and the state assumes no liability if they miss important things like obvious errors or purposeful misstatements.

8. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

9. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Now it seems at least two candidates have accepted money from MC Davis.

10. WaltonIsOne

WaltonIsOne Beach Lover

Back in February 2014, during the Carlene Anderson's mishandling of the teacher's pay raise issue, I indicated that a complete financial audit of the school district's finances was in order. Ms. Anderson's mishandling of the issue indicated that there were clearly "financial" problems.

http://sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/72876-No-Pay-Raise-in-Seven-Years-Support-Walton-County-Teachers!

If the School Board would have heeded this advice, the county tax payers would know more than they know now. Who knows what the School Board members "really know".

Now the really "bad news" has been delivered to the public, the county is in violation of the law, WCSD CFO Ms. Hobbs "conveniently" retires, and the the tax payers are left "holding the bag".

When government officials retire, they are often not required to testify to what they know during government oversight hearings. They can run, but they can not hide.

The question is, would it be wise to call for Carlene Anderson's resignation? Or, should the School Board keep her around in an effort to find out the truth?

Ms. Anderson's ongoing role in this serious matter is valuable only if she knows the truth and she possesses the ability to tell the truth.

There are indications that Ms. Anderson does know something. Ms. Anderson's statement at a recent school board meeting indicates that this problem was known for a period of time.

Ms. Anderson's statement below was published in the Northwest Daily News:

“It’s deeper than one year, what happened,” said Superintendent Carlene Anderson

Interesting, "deeper than one year", it appears that Ms. Anderson might should have shared the details of "what happened" with the public a long time ago in an effort to prevent the county from violating state law.

Or, are we to believe that the WCSD and its "officers" are above the law?

Maybe Ms. Anderson could have acted like a real "chief executive" and made the difficult decisions to maintain the county's compliance with the law.

Now that the "cat is out of the bag", time will only tell if the School Board does the right thing by performing a forensic audit, or simply covers up the whole issue by relying on a "Mickey Mouse" version of a "free" financial audit provided by the Florida State Auditor General.

The other option for WCSD officials will be for Ms. Anderson and the School Board to throw Ms. Hobbs "under the bus" and blame her for everything. But, there is a hitch in that plan.

It is widely known within the WCSD and the School Board that Ms. Anderson is a reasonably capable "manager", therefore, anything that Ms. Hobbs did in her role as CFO was surely orchestrated by Ms. Anderson and done with Ms. Anderson's full knowledge, support, and approval.

A forensic audit of WCSD finances is in order, the School Board Members need to get on with it.

11. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I fully support having a forensic audit, but for a different reason- to find out what went wrong and how to avoid it from now on. In other words, to fix the problems and move forward. Honestly, I could care less about establishing blame anymore- I am really over thinking about the actual participants, and looking backwards just eats up time and energy we need to look forward and make positive and necessary changes. I just want this school system to be operated in the best way possible. Do the forensic audit and let's get this show on the road!

12. Misty

Misty Banned

Repeat post from another thread...

Ya know...the school system didn't get in the shape its in today overnight. It has been years, years and years of apathy and "good ole boy" politics on the part of Walton County taxpayers (WCTA included) that has gotten it to this point. Looking at the candidates on the Supervisor of Elections site...I personally don't see much changing.

In District 2 you have the incumbent Faye Leddon (who actively participated in the current conundrum) and Kim Kirby the EX City manager for Defuniak Springs. Obviously she is the EX City Manager for a reason...politics included and from the looks of her bio, has no real experience dealing with issues facing the EDUCATION system in Walton County.

In District 3 you have Bill Eddins (State Attorney General's son) who is actively involved in Charter Schools (in particular Walton Academy) which is a HUGE DRAIN on the taxpayers of Walton County and another incumbent, Sharon Roberts that actively participated in the current conundrum.

In District 5 you have Darrell Barnhill yet another has been, former, School Board member and Jason Catalano who actually *appears* to be a viable alternative to the "good ole boy" (Barnhill) whose only claim to fame is as a licensed, certified, Flood Plain Manager.

Again, I'm going to reiterate I am NOT opposed to a hired Superintendent...BUT if the hired Superintendent is going to do the bidding of the elected School Board members, this is a dizzy-aster headed for more calamity!!

If Walton County wants to see real change we have to do far better than this.

And for all the yahoos who will suggest "why don't you run?", I'll admit I don't have the experience and/or education but I've damn sure seen the track records of the "has been's" and incumbents currently running. If, we've learned nothing from the mistakes of the past, HISTORY 101 has taught us we are DOOMED to repeat them!! We gotta do better than this.

*Note*

A vote for Bill Eddins is a vote to secure more money for Charter Schools which is NOT the answer to public education!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  13. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

So Misty, what would you suggest as a better option to change and improve the system, keeping in mind that change has to start somewhere?

14. Misty

Misty Banned

jdarg, You are the one who helped get this agenda on the ballot, why aren't you running? I personally think you have allot of great ideas and suggestions!! You seem well informed and you seem to want real change. You also seem to have all the qualifications I assuredly lack.

A new broom sweeps clean!!

I thought my post was very "suggestive". No more incumbents and no more "has been's".

15. Misty

Misty Banned

P.S. I'd vote for you jdarg! :)

16. BJackson

BJackson Beach Lover

Misty stated:
    Jason Catalano was Cecilia Jones' administrative assistant when she was County Commissioner.

17. Misty

Misty Banned

Oh lord!!

I did not know that. I read his bio on the Supervisor of Elections web site and he seemed viable. Not so much now.

Cecilia is running again for a Commission seat. We can't move forward in this county until we have viable people running for government. Has been and incumbents are not and have not worked for US in the past and won't work in the future.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  18. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Anyone know who or what is the Walton County Small Business PAC? They have signs up opposing the School Board Referendum

19. Autigr89

Autigr89 Beach Comber

I talked to Bill Eddins via tele this week, and this is not what was relayed to me. He has the best interest of Walton County residents and in particularly the students in mind. He has vision and drive to lead this county. So, rather than hearing it from me please call Mr. Eddins, and leave a message if you don't get him on the line. He will return your call expeditiously.

20. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

The group that will ultimately destroy SoWal and 30a.