• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WCcitizens

Beach Lover
Mar 25, 2008
Miramar Beach
I spent the weekend at our condo at Miramar this weekend, and there are political signs all over 98. I just wonder when the candidates get beat will they pick their signs up.

I was at the redlight at CVS pharmacy Sunday am, and observed a candidate get out and place a political sign on the right-of-way on hwy 98.

He made a point of placing a sign beside his opponents sign. What really surprised me was he didn't just place one, but several all over S. Walton Sunday am.

Before the question is asked....No, it wasn't a sheriff candidate.

The question I have is......On Scenic 98 and the side streets to Hwy 98 the population is mostly tourist, so what will the candidates gain by plastering signs all over the place?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I spent the weekend at our condo at Miramar this weekend, and there are political signs all over 98. I just wonder when the candidates get beat will they pick their signs up.

I was at the redlight at CVS pharmacy Sunday am, and observed a candidate get out and place a political sign on the right-of-way on hwy 98.

He made a point of placing a sign beside his opponents sign. What really surprised me was he didn't just place one, but several all over S. Walton Sunday am.

The question I have is......On Scenic 98 and the side streets to Hwy 98 the population is mostly tourist, so what will the candidates gain by plastering signs all over the place?

We are going to talk about it at the last REC meeting before the election. I am proposing that we put together a list that night of the signs that can be picked up and if everyone would pick up all signs when they are out the days following the elections, we should be able to get this county cleaned up quickly. I want to take the sowal signs to the Republican HQ and will secure a location in DeFuniak for the nowal signs. We did this two years ago and it was very effective. We did have some candidates that would not give us permission to pick up their signs. And I believe the candidates need to work on getting their own large signs.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thank you WCCitizens for reminding me that as a Democrat, I don't think. Wow- you must be one too, since you think that locals (who vote) don't use Scenic 98 and the feeder roads to it.

I guess you know the secret that the rest of us locals know- the employees of all the businesses in this area are beamed in from another planet.:roll:

Bdarg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Point Washington

Why don't you tell us, since most, if not all, of those signs are the signs of those "Thinking" Republican Candidates. :funn:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Back to the question at hand. If anyone (man woman mineral vegetable) does pick up a sign, they make excellent plant stakes for the garden once the obsolete advertising is removed from the frame. ;-)

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Back to the question at hand. If anyone (man woman mineral vegetable) does pick up a sign, they make excellent plant stakes for the garden once the obsolete advertising is removed from the frame. ;-)

:rotfl:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
All of the signs are plastic now? Not very GREEN!
Can they at least be recycled?

I will gladly clean up my neighborhood of signs the morning after the election. Can they be put in recycling trailers?

Yahoodie

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2007
Any candidate who sincerely cares about this county will of course pick up his/her signs, and as soon as possible I am sure. At least we will be able to see who cares and who doesn't....

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
I wonder how many people can name the candidate who won't put out any signs in an effort to be ecologically minded...

The problem is that signs work. If everyone made serious efforts to learn about all the candidates, not just the ones with signs out, maybe some wouldn't feel the need to make sure they got name recognition through signage. Of course, that's a totally idealistic.

Last time I was responsible for signs, I picked up as many as I possibly could. I'm not sure I got every last one, but we definitely put major effort into it less than 24 hours after election day. Technically we recycled them to an extent.. being a primary, we shipped them to another state whose primary hadn't occurred yet.

I think the little plastic slip-on signs are probably way less waste than the corrugated ones in the end. It's too bad that I don't think local print shops offer these kinds, which would explain why local candidates don't use them.