• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
From the Sun:

30A WAYFINDING BID AWARDED

Signtek, a Valparaiso based architectural firm, was awarded a bid to construct the Wayfiding signs for Phase I of the County Road 30A/Timpoochee Trail improvement plan. Commissioner Meadows made the recommendation due to their close proximity and familiarity with the area even though their bid was approximately $40,000 more than the other company in competition, Architectural Graphic & Designs. Walton Finance Director Bill Imfield said the county currently has $150,000 allocated for the proposed $202,000 project.:bang:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
From the Sun:

Signtek, a Valparaiso based architectural firm, was awarded a bid to construct the Wayfiding signs for Phase I of the County Road 30A/Timpoochee Trail improvement plan. Commissioner Meadows made the recommendation due to their close proximity and familiarity with the area even though their bid was approximately $40,000 more than the other company in competition, Architectural Graphic & Designs. Walton Finance Director Bill Imfield said the county currently has $150,000 allocated for the proposed $202,000 project.:bang:

I do not know, but I sure need to get in on this. $40K in potential profit just because you are familiar with the area. I wonder who the other companies were?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Having a business located in Val-P doesn't make one "familiar with the area." Let's reverse it. How many of you SoWallers know the streets of Val-P? For this project, we are talking about being able to read a map, and erect signs. Seems to me that some from Kansas could do that.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think our local government needs a crash course on the whole concept of "bidding a job". Unless I'm wrong, I thought the whole idea was to get the best product for the lowest price. :dunno:

I'd certainly add some $ to my bids if I knew I didn't have have the lowest bid and would still get the job because I was "local".

We need to stop them before they just start handing out blank checks! :angry:

For a fraction of that $40k I would be MORE than willing to help an out of town sign manufacturer find their way around!

LightWorker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Home Sweet Home
journals.aol.com
From the Sun:

Now I'm cranky!!! :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
$40,000 is a large percentage of the total. You'd think a local could do the job more efficiently than a company that's not.
Good point. That is roughly a 20% variance from the low bid. I thought the County was only going to go with the local bidder if the local bidder's variance was within 1.5% of the project cost. :dunno: Didn't they just run this idea through the agenda a few weeks ago?

Edit: pgurney corrected me. I meant to say that the variance of $40K is about 20% of the total project.

Last edited:

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
Good point. That is roughly a 20% variance from the low bid. I thought the County was only going to go with the local bidder if the local bidder was within 1.5% of the low bid. :dunno: Didn't they just run this idea through the agenda a few weeks ago?

The way I take it is: total project budget $202,000, that means to me that the low bid was about $160,000 so the winning bid was 25% higher than the low. I wonder how many bids they had? If they had 5 or 6 that were in the $200k + range and one low at $160,000 that should give them cause to question the validity of the low bid and possibly throw it out after due consideration. Contractors will often low bid a job and make up the difference later with change orders. But for the reason to be given that they are local? That doesn't sound right and seems open for a bid protest.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
The way I take it is: total project budget $202,000, that means to me that the low bid was about $160,000 so the winning bid was 25% higher than the low. I wonder how many bids they had? If they had 5 or 6 that were in the $200k + range and one low at $160,000 that should give them cause to question the validity of the low bid and possibly throw it out after due consideration. Contractors will often low bid a job and make up the difference later with change orders. But for the reason to be given that they are local? That doesn't sound right and seems open for a bid protest.

" Commissioner Meadows made the recommendation due to their close proximity and familiarity with the area even though their bid was approximately $40,000 more than the other company in competition, Architectural Graphic & Designs. "

It sounds like just one other company. I wasn't able to make it to DeFuniak for the meeting so I can't give first hand info.

I do know if they keep awarding contracts in this manner nobody will bid. It costs companies time/money to create bids. Why would they go to the trouble, if they can't win on legitimate consideration?