• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think some of the candidates became discouraged by the agendas, behavior, and attacks of some of the posters.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I don't know Interested Girl - I don't know her agenda, but I do wonder what she is about.

maybe she doesn't understand this online SoWal community. maybe she can't comprehend the depth of discussion, the sharing, the friendships and all that goes into the members - the wonderful people - of this board.

thanks to all candidates who participated on Sowal.com and helped us make informed choices. thanks to the folks involved in local government and groups who came on SoWal to help get the information out to us on the forum. thanks to all who participated in discussions. yes, politics can get a little hairy. it is what it is. I wouldn't expect every candidate to participate - just as I do not expect every person in SoWal or every visitor to SoWal to become a regular participating member here. a message board is a great place for some folks but not all.

to those who contribute so much (in any forum), you are very much appreciated. If someone decides (such as a candidate) that a message board is not for them, well, that is a personal choice. I feel SoWal.com is a place to share information and be with friends. it is not a place where we need to analyze who is here and who is not, and why.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
From my perspective, I have enjoyed watching candidates abandon their alter egos and post under their real names once they entered the race. The tone change is quite interesting between prior to running and running.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
From my perspective, I have enjoyed watching candidates abandon their alter egos and post under their real names once they entered the race. The tone change is quite interesting between prior to running and running.

makes things interesting. aside from the political ones, I love trying to figure out some general "alter egos" that come and go - and I know some of them are by very close friends! but I can't prove who it is, even if I can guess.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
makes things interesting. aside from the political ones, I love trying to figure out some general "alter egos" that come and go - and I know some of them are by very close friends! but I can't prove who it is, even if I can guess.

It sure does. Fyi, my sowal alter-alter-ego is Beauregard if I remember correctly, I just haven't used it yet. ;-):D

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Personally, I have no issues with candidates who didn't / don't post here. Most didn't post on the other local forums either. The ones I know, except for my buddy wrobert, don't particularly enjoy internet conversation in the first place.

But don't kid yourself by thinking The Powers That Be aren't watching these forums. Kurt has done an amazing job with SoWal and it is an incredible source of information. And a lot of funn too.

(And for TPTB that are watching, no, I am not posting at work. I am about to eat soft food and hug up with my ice pack on the couch again. See you Tuesday if Gustav isn't here!)

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
George Wallace Smith -- does he really exist?
Johnson? Does he show up for anything? He failed to show up to support his $300,000 budget request. He failed to show at all of the Meet the Candidate's forums. No surprises that he doesn't show up here.

In the interest of fairness (I'm not a supporter), Mr. Johnson was at several of the candidates forums. He attended the one at SWHS and Seascape that I know of off-hand. Perhaps more that I don't know about as I missed most in the northern districts. George Wallace Smith was also at these forums IIRC.

If we can just get a good balanced and fair format, it could be a great source for a paperless, plasticless, and litter-free "green" campaign.

Ms. Winegarner purposely chose not to place signs in an effort to run a green campaign... People claim to not even know who was running against Mr. Davis... :dunno: She doesn't strike me as the kind of person to spend a lot of time online.

I know it's hard for everyone here to believe, but a lot of people have no idea this exists. They see the stickers and maybe visit the website, but don't know that a forum exists. And even though it's hard for *me* to believe, a lot of people (young and old) do not post on online forums because they either just don't know how or are not into sharing online. I have many friends, under the age of 30, who use Facebook and MySpace, are tech savvy, but have never and have no desire to use online message boards.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
I totally understand what SoWal is all about. I don't understand why their is a perception that if a person views things differently they have an "Agenda".

i like to think of a forum as a place to discuss perspectives on topics in straight forward - non-confrontational manner. I believe that tolerance of different viewpoints is key to intelligent discourse.

DFSboy

Beach Lover
Jul 13, 2008
We agree on costs but will disagree on the reasons for those who did not post. By the way Jones did not just campaign in the north - she campaigned heavily in Miramar. She also spent over 10 grand advertising in the NW Daily News.

She executed her plan to win very well, just as Adkinson did. Win North and rely on the southern voters to once again not turn out.

It was not the large field - add Sids votes and George wallace Smiths votes to Osborne and she still beat him - same for Hudson - they both needed a large turnout in the South - neither got the turnout.

Adkinson relied on Cooper to take the votes away from Johnson which he did.

All three campaigns were destined to fail due to southern voter apathy.[/quote]

You nailed it, Interested Girl!!