• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Why hasn't Walton County hired an in-house attorney? Mike Burke is acting as interim Attorney for Walton County, and I just looked at the amount he is being paid. :blink: With that kind of money, surely Walton County can afford to pay to have their own in-house attorney, and save some money. So why are we still without an attorney? :dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
$120K a year PLUS additional hourly rates and travel and reimbursables.

WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE OF THE CHECKBOOKS OVER THERE!?!

How nice that in exchange for paying $10k up front each month we get a 12.5% discount on their hourly rate. IMO we needed an in-house lawyer to avoid getting screwed in the contract w/ our in-house lawyer.

Exactly what travel expenses does the in-house attorney for Walton County incur for $1,000 a month. Shouldn't he be in the county?

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
$120K a year PLUS additional hourly rates.

WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE OF THE CHECKBOOKS OVER THERE!?!

The Walton County Board of County Commissioners. My experience is that they value your input. Three are running for re-election, all unopposed at this time, so they must be doing something right.

We also have a staff attorney that I guess does research and the day to day things for the BCC.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
SJ, would you want to put your bar license on the line for some of the idiotic things the county has done lately? Would you want to be the counties in house Realtor?

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
I just perused the agreement - too many bad memories. If I read it right, I think the 120k is a retainer to be applied against future hourly billings - not in addition to the hourly billings. The commission can probably get an in-house lawyer but you get what you pay for and skimming on a lawyer is generally not a good long term investment.

Badges?

Beach Comber
Mar 20, 2008
I suspect the county would benefit from having an attorney or two as county employees. The real issue is you get what you pay for when it comes to legal advice. Think about it - an attorney with a proven track record, a degree from a real law school and a good reputation will cost big bucks. There is so much money to be made in the private sector chasing ambulances and filing nuisance lawsuits, that the county would have to really offer something extra to attract an attorney who would dispense advise worth taking. Think of the county as a billion dollar company. An attorney making 120K seems fair. I don't know Mr. Burke, so I'm not commenting on his abilities.

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
Funny - that was good for a laugh. Skimp on the lawyer ... skim more from the public.