• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

In the District 5 County Commission race this year, Amy Coble Wise's entry into the main keeps Democrats and Independents from casting their votes in the Primary. Is this fair? Should we not consider having non partisan elections in Walton County? Not only to stop disenfranchisement but it appears to be a more efficient manor or electing local officials.

Here is an article from the National Association of Counties on the spread of Non Partisan elections

http://www.naco.org/sites/default/files/documents/County Elections Partisian or Non Partisian.pdf

And here: an excerpt from the Columbia Law Review

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 4.57.02 AM.jpg

Excerpt from:
Local Nonpartisan Elections, Political Parties and the First Amendment

Nancy Northup
Columbia Law Review
Vol. 87, No. 8 (Dec., 1987), pp. 1677-1701
Published by: Columbia Law Review Association, Inc.
DOI: 10.2307/1122744
Stable URL: Local Nonpartisan Elections, Political Parties and the First Amendment on JSTOR
Page Count: 25

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
It seems like parties on a local level is more divisive than ever. Such an old boy network thing.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I changed my party affiliation so that I can vote in the primaries. Took me about 5 minutes at the annex.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Locals generally do not divide along party lines on local issues. Party affiliation is used more and more to play games with the process but I cannot recall an instance where anyone said they were for or against a local position because that position was supported by Republicans or Democrats. The divisions among locals generally fall between how individuals feel about growth and development but the issues are complex and today's ally may be tomorrow's opponent.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Locals generally do not divide along party lines on local issues. Party affiliation is used more and more to play games with the process but I cannot recall an instance where anyone said they were for or against a local position because that position was supported by Republicans or Democrats. The divisions among locals generally fall between how individuals feel about growth and development but the issues are complex and today's ally may be tomorrow's opponent.

Perfectly stated. If we can become a Charter County and have Non Partisan elections it ends the "game playing" with the process. It removes the power pedals from the hands of those few who always seem to be pushing them.