• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hssk1000

Beach Crab
Jan 14, 2021
Walton co
Hello I'm new to the area Freeport specifically.
Can anyone tell me what possibly harmful wildlife I should be looking out for on my nature walks? I've already seen bear and snake's.
2 week's ago we seen something run across the road wile driving it was red and brown and about the size of a Doberman. We slowed down but Didn't stop. Didn't seem to be any houses around to be someone's dog but I've noticed a lot of hidden places in the area.

I've heard a few people talk about a coyote hybrid but not sure how true it is because I haven't found any info on it.
Thank you

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
What you saw is probably a fox. We have a lot of them and they get pretty big. But they are harmless and shy with people. Although they may attack cats or other small animals. They are mostly out from dusk to dawn. We have coyotes, they also are out at night, and they will make a quick snack of a cat, but they are shy and stay away people mostly.

Our black bears are shy also and love garbage. They won't hurt people unless maybe if you get between a mom and her cubs.

Alligators are present in the fresh waters of Freeport, mostly the rivers and creeks off the bay, but they also usually stay away from people. Problems with alligators almost always result when people feed them and they lose their fear of humans (and small dogs).

Our biggest worries are Water Moccasins (aka Cottonmouths) and Rattle Snakes. But encounters are not all that frequent and rarely deadly.

So if you're walking the trail just keep an eye on the ground in front of you for snakes, you don't really need to worry about any animals.

One caveat - if you see any of the above mentioned animals, or a raccoon, out during the day and acting strangely, aggressively and possibly foaming at the mouth, they might have rabies so stay far away.

:welcome: :sowal:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Not to mention the "30-A Skunk-ape", seen from time to time on this forum. Some say harmless... I don't know. His incisive wit can come out of nowhere, and leave you helplessly laughing, and maybe a bit wiser. Beware. :blink:

Hssk1000

Beach Crab
Jan 14, 2021
Walton co
What you saw is probably a fox. We have a lot of them and they get pretty big. But they are harmless and shy with people. Although they may attack cats or other small animals. They are mostly out from dusk to dawn. We have coyotes, they also are out at night, and they will make a quick snack of a cat, but they are shy and stay away people mostly.

Our black bears are shy also and love garbage. They won't hurt people unless maybe if you get between a mom and her cubs.

Alligators are present in the fresh waters of Freeport, mostly the rivers and creeks off the bay, but they also usually stay away from people. Problems with alligators almost always result when people feed them and they lose their fear of humans (and small dogs).

Our biggest worries are Water Moccasins (aka Cottonmouths) and Rattle Snakes. But encounters are not all that frequent and rarely deadly.

So if you're walking the trail just keep an eye on the ground in front of you for snakes, you don't really need to worry about any animals.

One caveat - if you see any of the above mentioned animals, or a raccoon, out during the day and acting strangely, aggressively and possibly foaming at the mouth, they might have rabies so stay far away.

:welcome: :sowal:
Thank you for the information. I have seen some Alligator wile kayaking but they swim away.