• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
From the Nortwest Florida Daily News:
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/6487

June 16, 2007
For a wonderful relaxed meal try Wild Olives in Rosemary Beach
COLLEEN COFFIELD SACHS

Friday June 8th, 2007

Comment on this Story | Read Comments

ROSEMARY BEACH – Wild Olives in Rosemary Beach bills itself as a market, deli and bakery. That is an accurate description, but Wild Olives is much more.

With tables scattered around the walkway surrounding the shop, Wild Olives is a place to relax and hang out with friends while cooling off with an iced tea, or having a glass of wine or beer, and enjoying some very good food.

The market shelves display gourmet food items. But the interior of Wild Olives is domi-nated by display cases sur-rounding the food preparation area.

One case holds cookies, doughnuts and other pastries. Another contains salads and cheeses, while another featured desserts such as lemon me-ringue pie and Key lime pie.

Orders can be placed inside for food to take out. Or take a seat at one of the tables outside for full service.

Things get started at 7:30 a.m. with a breakfast menu that includes eggs, Belgian waffles, French toast, and omelets. There is also a traditional Tor-tilla Espanola (an onion-and-potato omelet), and the Healthy Choice breakfast of yogurt, fruit, granola and a muffin. Kids get silver dollar pancakes.

At 11 a.m. the menu changes to sandwiches, salads and pizza. The large selection of sand-wiches include hot and cold varieties, and are served with a choice of Zapp’s chips, fries or fruit.

A half-pound burger can be had plain, or with cheese or bacon. The Blue Bayou Burger features Gorgonzola cheese and a brioche roll.

Seafood options include grilled shrimp, grouper, yellow fin tuna and shrimp salad. Classic deli sandwiches include the Italian Deluxe packed with Italian meats, topped with Provolone and served warm.

The huge Ruben Dagwood is a triple-decker sandwich with a pastrami layer and a corned beef layer. It is filled with sau-erkraut, Swiss cheese and bread and butter pickles (a nice touch), and served on grilled rye bread.

One of the cold options I really liked was the California Turkey. Monterey Jack cheese, avocado and sprouts are classic California accents, and chipotle mayonnaise added a terrific spicy kick.

The Roasted Veggie is a good vegetarian option. Wild Olives take on a BLT is fried green tomatoes, bacon and lettuce with wasabi mayon-naise.

Pizzas are served in 7- and 14-inch sizes. They include a Margherita pizza, Italian sau-sage and hot peppers, shrimp and Feta, and a white pizza with chicken and bacon.

Salads are large enough to be an entr?e (when shrimp, chicken, tuna or grouper is added). I liked the Greek Salad with crisp greens, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olives and Feta. It was highlighted by a delicious Greek vinaigrette that was tangy, but not too tart. Other salads include a Caprese, a Caesar and the Portabella Panzenella.

After 3 p.m. the tapas menu is available, and showcased some of the best Wild Olives has to offer. These small plates can work as appetizers, combined for an early dinner, or shared with friends before dinner elsewhere.

Most dishes have a Spanish flair befitting the birthplace of tapas. Gambas al Ajillo was a dish of jumbo shrimp in olive oil with red pepper flakes and lots of garlic.

Rosemary Lamb Pops are small lamb chops served rare with grilled vegetables. They were tender and flavorful. Ital-ian sausages are paired with saut?ed peppers and onions then finished with a touch of sherry.

The most colorful plate was the order of Bocadillos, a collec-tion of four open-face sand-wiches, each with different toppings. All of our tapas ap-propriately came with olives on the side.

The menu doesn’t have a dessert section. For that, go inside and choose something from one of the display cases. There is a nice selection of wines by the glass and bottled beer. There is also a water menu that has 14 entries, in-cluding my favorite Badoit, a French sparkling water that is lightly effervescent so that it works well with food.

Wild Olives’ staff was wel-coming, and the location is a beautiful place to relax. But what will keep me coming back are the excellent sandwiches, salads and tapas.

Wild Olives Facts
North Barrett Square
Rosemary Beach
231-0065

Hours
Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Breakfast, 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Lunch, beginning at 11 a.m.
Tapas, 3 p.m. to close.

Handicap accessibility: good

Children’s menu: yes

Reservations: not accepted

Price range
Sandwiches, $7.95 - $10.95
Salads, $3.50 - $11.95
Pizza, $7.95 - $19.95
Children’s Menu, $5.95 - $6.95
Tapas, $6.95 - $10.95
Breakfast, $6.95 - $9.95 ($4.95 for kids)

Payment: Major credit cards

Atmosphere: * * * 1/2
Value: * * * 1/2
Food: * * * 1/2
Overall rating: * * * 1/2

Last edited:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
CONGRATULATIONS WILD OLIVE:clap: :clap: :clap:This is only the first I'm sure of many to come!

The first time I went in I had to nudge my way to the counter....it was worth it! I felt like I was at a Starbucks in D.C. I love that it is such a different feeling then Grayton or Seaside. I can go and sit out at one of your tables and feel like I'm on vacation!!!! :chill:

:wave: Kat

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
We ate there 2 times last visit....:clap: :clap: Love it!Grayt review!!!

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I luv this place. closed on tuesdays i always forget:bang: :bang: Great hot lunch plates that are fast.....so glad they are doing well...