• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

5th Gen Local

Beach Comber
Jul 16, 2008
DeFuniak Springs
With the exception of Brad Drake, candidate for House Dist. 5, I have not seen one campaign flyer, ad or other political statement by any of the so called Republicans, on their position on core conservative values:

Abortion
Traditional definition of marriage
2nd amendment rights
Prayer in schools
etc.

Will the true Republicans let us know where you stand?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
From another 5th generation SoWaller, who came out of the closet and registered Republican ten years ago:

Party politics has no place in local elections for county positions.

Brad is seeking a seat at the State level. There's a difference.

DemoLady

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
www.waltondemocrats.org
The real Republicans HAVE stood up

I agree with your statement, "Party politics has no place in local elections for county positions." It's been refreshing that much of the dialog surrounding these campaigns has centered around issues that candidates can actually do something about -- road maintenance, budgeting, land development, etc.

Even at the state and national level, the issues of abortion, gay rights, prayer in schools -- gasoline on the fire topics-- have taken a back seat to our more pressing problems -- economy, education, war, global warming. In my Democratic opinion, the real Republicans are taking the microphone and directing the dialog toward something government should and can be involved in -- not family/religious issues.

We don't all see "family values" in the same way, but we all pay the same high prices at the pump, and we all cry when our young men are killed in the service of our country.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
With the exception of Brad Drake, candidate for House Dist. 5, I have not seen one campaign flyer, ad or other political statement by any of the so called Republicans, on their position on core conservative values:

Abortion
2nd amendment rights
Prayer in schools
etc.

Granted, I'm not a Republican. But are these truly the cornerstones of your party? I think defining your party so narrowly may turn many away from that Big Tent.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

Abortion
2nd amendment rights
Prayer in schools
etc.

These seem like very narrow social issues that have more to do with individual choice than a party value.

what happened to fiscal conservatism, small government, individual responsibility, and marketplace economics?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
These seem like very narrow social issues that have more to do with individual choice than a party value.

what happened to fiscal conservatism, small government, individual responsibility, and marketplace economics?

I am so glad y'all commented on this first- I have been sitting on my hands.:rotfl:I think the thread title should have read "Will the real Christian Conservatives please stand up?"

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I am so glad y'all commented on this first- I have been sitting on my hands.:rotfl:I think the thread title should have read "Will the real Christian Conservatives please stand up?"

Sometimes I think (some/many) Republicans have listened to the PlayBook Talking Points for so long they don't know what the party values are....come on, get off your hands and jump in!:funn:

Last edited:

DFSboy

Beach Lover
Jul 13, 2008
From another 5th generation SoWaller, who came out of the closet and registered Republican ten years ago:

Party politics has no place in local elections for county positions.

Brad is seeking a seat at the State level. There's a difference.

ShallowsNole,

I disagree. I, too, wish those other Republican Candidates would "Stand-Up" and let us know their respective positions on these important consertive issues. Ones' belief may not have a "place in local" offices in which he or she is actually seeking; however, as a Repulican Voter, I'd like to know the positions of those seeking local offices to better learn about who I personally choose to cast my vote for, or not.

Voting is a personal choice anyway. And, most state politicians, like Brade Drake, start at a more local level, thereby giving themselves a boost when later running for election at a higher level. So yeah, "Stand-Up" Republican Candidates...

DFSboy

Beach Lover
Jul 13, 2008
Granted, I'm not a Republican. But are these truly the cornerstones of your party? I think defining your party so narrowly may turn many away from that Big Tent.

Ok, as a Republican I can answer this one. Yes, yes indeed these are important issues to my party. Remember, voting is a personal choice, and the position of a sheriff candidate (for example) on these important issues should have an effect on a Republican Voters' decision when casting a vote.

Rhonda Skipper shared (via printed material) her positions on some of these and other important conservative issues during her initial bid for tax collecter four years ago, and I really appreaciated it---wheather I agreed or not, which I did.