• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
As I crossed the bay this morning, the water was churning, and there were many whitecaps. Not uncommon, particularly this time of year with the North wind blowing in. I wonder just how much power could be captured with wind turbines on the causeway? Come to think of it, there are several areas with high winds. I think it would be a good idea to harness some of this power.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
As I crossed the bay this morning, the water was churning, and there were many whitecaps. Not uncommon, particularly this time of year with the North wind blowing in. I wonder just how much power could be captured with wind turbines on the causeway? Come to think of it, there are several areas with high winds. I think it would be a good idea to harness some of this power.

I did some reading on these a while back when I was researching green energy for the home. Apparently turbines need to be high up, sitting in smooth wind currents for best efficiency. Placing them over water helps with this as there are no objects on the surface that churn up the currents. The towers can also be built lower, saving on cost. I think your only problem with this plan is in finding one of those mammoth wind turbines that can withstand a cat 5. :blink:

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I've also done some research, and have found that vertical turbines are more efficient and quieter. As time goes on, prices and technology improves. It seems there is a great potential there if we could harness it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I did some reading on these a while back when I was researching green energy for the home. Apparently turbines need to be high up, sitting in smooth wind currents for best efficiency. Placing them over water helps with this as there are no objects on the surface that churn up the currents. The towers can also be built lower, saving on cost. I think your only problem with this plan is in finding one of those mammoth wind turbines that can withstand a cat 5. :blink:

I've also done some research, and have found that vertical turbines are more efficient and quieter. As time goes on, prices and technology improves. It seems there is a great potential there if we could harness it.

Unfortunately the big issue is hurricanes, moving parts just don't work well with those kinds of forces and speeds. You would really need an easily taken apart version.

Yesterday morning was the first time I had ever heard of harnessing tidal energy. I don't know how I missed it all these years. Dams are predictable for generating hydro-energy, but I understand they hurt migration of wildlife. Tidal energy uses the tides and doesn't block the free movement of anything. I think we are going to find that there are a lot of breakthroughs coming in this.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

If Ted Kennedy does not want to see them off the coast of Nantucket, why should I have them in my view of Choctawhatchee Bay?

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
If Ted Kennedy does not want to see them off the coast of Nantucket, why should I have them in my view of Choctawhatchee Bay?

Does the bay have an arm that heads up to dfs? you or your descendants will never see a turbine or generating device in the bay. have you not been following the conversation, or is this standard red rhetoric?