• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gwen Break

Beach Fanatic
Aug 2, 2011
South Walton, near the bay
Artist Kevin Beilfuss is conducting a demonstration at the Bayou Arts Centre Monday, June 11 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Kevin will provide a hands-on opportunity to learn tips and techniques of working with a live model. Cost is $30. Sign up by calling the CAA office at 850-622-5970.
More about the artist

After graduating from Illinois State University and the American Academy of Art, Kevin set out on a free-lance illustration career, which lasted thirteen years.

“I always dreamed of becoming an illustrator,” explains the artist. “But the demands of painting someone else’s ideas finally took its toll. I decided that life is too short and that I had to paint from my heart. We’re only given one chance at life, and I had to paint what was important to me. What is important to me, says Kevin, “Is that I try to capture a little of what God has already created in each of my paintings. One can obviously see the beauty of God’s creation in a nature, but for me it is even more profound when I see and experience that beauty in people.”

For the artist there is nothing more challenging than to be able to draw and paint the figure in a well-executed format. “There are endless possibilities when painting a person. Even if you were to paint that same model over and over again, you can always explore and find something new and beautiful to express in a painting,” Kevin explains. He hopes to express that same beauty he finds in his models to the viewer, so that they may share the same intimate experience.

Beilfuss’ style may be best described as representational—though expressed through impressionistic brushwork. “I look forward to learning every day,” explains the artist. “I want to incorporate more of an immediacy in my brushwork—more of an impression of what someone or something looks like, rather than a literal translation of that subject.”