• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Andrew Gant
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS - A jury found would-be Walton County Commission candidate Greg "Charlie" Burke guilty of voter fraud Wednesday, months after Gov. Charlie Crist suspended him from another county post.

Burke could face a five-year sentence and thousands of dollars in fines.

He was convicted on two counts of voter registration fraud and falsifying documents to the Walton County supervisor of elections office.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/burke_8593___article.html/commissioner_walton.html

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Andrew Gant
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS - A jury found would-be Walton County Commission candidate Greg "Charlie" Burke guilty of voter fraud Wednesday, months after Gov. Charlie Crist suspended him from another county post.

Burke could face a five-year sentence and thousands of dollars in fines.

He was convicted on two counts of voter registration fraud and falsifying documents to the Walton County supervisor of elections office.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/burke_8593___article.html/commissioner_walton.html

So I guess it will no longer be relevant where he stands on the issues affecting the county.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
When and where a candidate lives is relevant. How one can work around this varies. But, it is a relevant discussion that should take place in all kinds of races. For Burke, it was criminal. For others, the intent and degree is up for debate.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
When and where a candidate lives is relevant. How one can work around this varies. But, it is a relevant discussion that should take place in all kinds of races. For Burke, it was criminal. For others, the intent and degree is up for debate.

Hi DL,

I have a special on election laws coming out after the 20th when qualifying ends. It will include this topic. :wave:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
AL. Good. Can't wait to read. Once in Texas, a guy from Houston ran for a congressional race in Dallas -- about 300 miles away. Sure, he could do it. But, one has to ask if this is the "right" thing to do. He ran by the way because he could and had enough money to do so. Also, his last name was the same as the incumbent of another party. He even admitted he was running because his name was the same!! He actually won the primary against a very fine candidate. The incumbent eventually beat him in the General Election as he (the incumbent) had the time and the money after the Primary to expose him and beat him soundly. Details vary. So each race deserves a closer look.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
AL. Good. Can't wait to read. Once in Texas, a guy from Houston ran for a congressional race in Dallas -- about 300 miles away. Sure, he could do it. But, one has to ask if this is the "right" thing to do. He ran by the way because he could and had enough money to do so. Also, his last name was the same as the incumbent of another party. He even admitted he was running because his name was the same!! He actually won the primary against a very fine candidate. The incumbent eventually beat him in the General Election as he (the incumbent) had the time and the money after the Primary to expose him and beat him soundly. Details vary. So each race deserves a closer look.

Thanks DL. I would also be curious to hear how voters feel about the difference between electing someone from outside the county vs appointing or hiring someone from outside the county.
Case in point, the Sheriffs race. We have one person who was raised here but lives over one county and is running and planning on returning which is totally legal. We have another who returned after being hired by the DFS city council to a LEO post. Does the group of 5 on the city council have a greater understanding of outside hiring than the voters do?

I consider them (PERSONALLY:D) to not be any different in my mind. If one can appoint (hire) from outside the county then one should be able to run for election as well. But my opinion only counts as a vote. I would be curious if anyone else sees no difference between appointment or hiring and being elected:dunno: