• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachyteachy

Beach Fanatic
Apr 4, 2005
DH and I were coming home from Wal-Mart and witnessed a wreck in front of 395. A car pulled right out into oncoming traffic. I don't know if anyone was hurt badly but I know the car that got hit didn't brake and cruised across the way into a light pole. The cops who sit there were on the ball! This is the second wreck I've seen there this week, even with the policemen there. Hopefully no one was hurt. We cruised on by so we would be out of the way and everyone could do their work. Maybe that will expedite the light???

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
Walton County can have a battallion of deputies and flashing lights...and it won't overcome the bad design of the intersection. 395 crosses 98 at an angle; 395 is below the grade of 98, and the median is about a half mile wide (only a slight exaggeration)...all of these factors creating difficulty in judging distance, position, and speed of approaching cars. Unable to admit the true problem, the DOT's flashing sign says "Danger...Heavy Traffic". It should say "Danger...Poorly Designed Intersection". The cops with the flashing lights may do more to distract drivers than anything else.

beachyteachy

Beach Fanatic
Apr 4, 2005
I agree. I generally make a right turn and turn back around to avoid crossing there. The person who pulled out from 395 last night pulled RIGHT OUT in front of two cars. It's a wonder they had time to brake. I'll be so glad when the light goes in as I pass that intersection every day.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachyteachy said:
I agree. I generally make a right turn and turn back around to avoid crossing there. The person who pulled out from 395 last night pulled RIGHT OUT in front of two cars. It's a wonder they had time to brake. I'll be so glad when the light goes in as I pass that intersection every day.
Even after the light is installed, you better wait and look both directions before pulling out into the intersection. Just look at 331/98 for numerous examples of red light runners causing crashes.

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
beachyteachy said:
I agree. I generally make a right turn and turn back around to avoid crossing there.

I do the same thing. I don't know why they don't block off the area in such a manner to make everyone make a right turn (until the lights get in). A hassle, I know, but the intersection is extremely dangerous.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
personally i think that they should have a light at each one of the intersections on 98 it might stop up traffic a little but it will be nothing but good in the long run

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
I always warn my house guests about this intersection. We've found that when you're trying to go westbound on 98 from 395, if an eastbound car is turning right onto 395, it totally blocks your view of 98 traffic. Also, if you can't cross all four lanes, the "no-man's land" in the middle is ill-defined, as others have said. I'd be curious to know how many wrecks have occurred there.

Making a right turn there is a good suggestion. I thought I was the only one who was obsessive-compulsive enough about safety to go to that much trouble. Definitely a good recommendation for our children who are inexperienced drivers. I actually phone my daughter a few minutes after I think she's passed that intersection to make sure she's cleared it.

Last edited: