• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

warren

Beach Comber
Jul 7, 2007
Is there a writer's group here in South Walton? If not, is anyone interested?

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:wave: ...that would be us! ;-)

:welcome:

warren

Beach Comber
Jul 7, 2007
If nobody is already doing it, I'm thinking it would be cool to do a weeklyish workshop-type meeting where practicing writers get together to read one another's work and discuss. Perhaps spending time on some brief passages, but looking more closely and longer at drafts submitted the previous week.

The idea would be to help one another become better writer's. Trouble-shooting. Critiquing. Praising. Encouraging. I see discussion focused toward writing as a craft and addressing 'technical' aspects of work and how they might better, support and maintain the 'fictive dream'? What does the narrators voice say about her? How can a quick pace be kept with all the things that need to be said here? Is style causing problems? Is P.O.V. appropriately coherent and consistent? Is voice convincing?

I see a group that is open to all levels of writing experience.

On weeks we do not have our work to look at, we might have a book to discuss about the craft of writing. My favorites are "On Becoming a Novelist" and "The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers," both by the John Gardner who did write James Bond.

My own prejudice is toward fiction, but technically, prose is prose... kind of.

Maybe 10 years ago ago I was involved with the not-long-lived Hibiscus Writer's Workshop in Grayton Beach, a gathering that was catalyzed by the Seaside Writer's workshop that year. Perhaps some of you are here.

I think I can scare up a venue and am willing to be the central record keeper and contact for weekly discussion drafts (via edit protected PDF).

Anyone interested?

sunny456

Beach Lover
Aug 25, 2005
Hey,

We've got a great little group of writers who meet the second Tuesday of each month (next meeting is in three days ... July 10) at 4:30 p.m. at the Great Southern restaurant in Seaside.

Sounds like our group shares the same goals you have. We would certainly love to have you join us. If we don't meet often enough for your tastes, maybe our group could help support a group that you begin.

Happy writing!

warren

Beach Comber
Jul 7, 2007
sunny456, that's awesome. I'd love to take part and will be there Tuesday. Are there any materials I should read before hand?

sunny456

Beach Lover
Aug 25, 2005
No ... wer'e not really that formal.

We ususally get together, discuss the projects that we are working on, distribute writing for comments/review if you want the feedback and talk about writing and any blocks we are trying to work around.

I look forward to seeing you there! All are welcome!

lancelf08

Beach Comber
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, I'd love to stop by, too. Please post the specifics about when the meeting is. I'd like to get together and talk about writing.

Andy Meinen
Reporter
Northwest Florida Daily News