• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
All,

Retirement's here! Looking to buy a Mediterranean style home, approx 3,000 sq ft, 3 BR, 2-3 bath, 3 car garage, or suitable lot to build on. Specific interest is area east of Driftwood Estates (Sandestin), West of 331, North of 98 and south of the bay. Would prefer a new community (or one in development). of similar Mediterranean-style homes. Bare lot (1/2-3/4 acre) with utilities also OK.

Any suggestions?

(Would prefer an area that is not considered tourist rental real estate, to avoid the weekly-monthly turn-over of the neighbors.......)

I can be Emailed at kwalsh0001@aol.com directly.

Thanks........Ken

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Have you considered working with a knowledgeable Realtor who knows this area?

SJ, and all......

Yes, and I will. Was actually visiting the area for about a week, and wanted to get some general knowledge before I took up the time of a good realtor. I did so, and got some good familiarization with the area. Will be back in about a month or so, to start looking in earnest.

elenamaria

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
Ken,

Though you're looking to be west of 331 and north of 98, if you like the beach at all, I recommend taking a drive through the Seabreeze subdivision. It is in Seacrest beach, just north of 30a. It's (I believe) the oldest subdivision in the 30a area, and is comprised of retirees and full-time residents. Though the covenants don't restrict short-term rentals, no one I know there rents shortvterm. It's kind of been an unspoken thing to not rent short term--probably because the majority of people live there full time.

The other reason I'm suggesting this neighborhood is the lot size. You mention that you'd like a 1/2- to 3/4-acre lot--from my experience, that's going to be tough to find. Seabreeze offers the biggest lots that I've ever seen in the area, though--about 1/4 acre on average. We have a house there, and we're on 1/2 acre, but it's a cul-de-sac lot.

I don't know if there are any Mediterranean-style homes for sale there, but there are some vacant lots for sale (some with incredible prices).

It's definitely worth a drive-through...you can get the best of all worlds in this neighborhood...extremely close to the beach, no HOA fees (if it's Seabreeze east; other areas are only around $200/year), primarily full-time residents, large lots, walking distance to Alys, Rosemary, and Watersound (Camp Creek golf course is also right around the corner).

I'm not an agent...just someone who lives in Seabreeze, and searched high and low for what I think is the "perfect" place to live in the area. If you're coming from Seagrove on 30a, you'll pass Watersound on your right, cross over Camp Creek Lake, then start looking for the Emerald Waters real estate building on your left. Turn there, and meander through the streets of Seabreeze.

Best of luck to you in finding your retirement home, and enjoying this special time in your life!

ElenaMaria

LJ123

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2009
Ken
ElenaMaria is right about Seabreeze if you want to be south of Hwy98 and further east than you stated. We are David W. Thomas Homes,LLC and will be building a home in Seabreeze this winter. Would love to build your home there or any where in South Walton

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Ken,

Though you're looking to be west of 331 and north of 98, if you like the beach at all, I recommend taking a drive through the Seabreeze subdivision. It is in Seacrest beach, just north of 30a.....

The other reason I'm suggesting this neighborhood is the lot size. You mention that you'd like a 1/2- to 3/4-acre lot--from my experience, that's going to be tough to find. Seabreeze offers the biggest lots.....

ElenaMaria

ElenaMaria.....thanks for the info!..... I've visited the SoWal for the last dozen years, to include the Watersound, Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach areas on 30-A, but yet never drove thru the Seabreeze subdivision. (Off the subject, but I do love the Cool Jazz FM station in the SoWal area, with the same nickname....). I'll be in the area again in a few weeks, and will do a drive thru to familiarize myself with that area.

Fully understand, too, that I probably would not find a 1/2 acre lot in that area (or probably most areas south of 98). My problem is I tend to collect and restore older cars (Jaguars, racing Cobras), and would really like to find/build in some area where I could have a four-car garage....my other option is to cut down my "collection" (which my wife has hinted at, numerous times!). Again, thanks for the info. I'll give the areaa "look see" when I'm down there again....

Ken

elenamaria

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
Your retirement hobby sounds great...we're big car buffs ourselves (you should check out the Rosemary Beach car show that's typically in March or April each year). If you became our neighbor in Seabreeze, I have a feeling we'd drop by a lot just to check out what you're up to!

I think you could fit a 4-car garage on most 1/4-acre Seabreeze lots, though with a 3,000 square foot house, that might be tight.

Also wanted to plug the construction method we used...ICF (insulating concrete forms). If you want the premier protection for your high value car investments, at least build an ICF garage. Your insurance company will love it (we only pay about $1k a year for all insurances). If you don't know about ICF, check out our builder's site below--this page shows photos of our home under construction. We're not there now (at our summer house in upstate NY), but our builder has the key and he'd be happy to show you the house anytime.

Seabreeze Plan Under Construction

Good luck!