• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

destindonna

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2010
Is it just me or are others going through the misery of yellow fly bites. If I step outside,even with repellent on, it's like I have a flashing neon sign on that says" here comes mealtime". I have tried every so called remedy to get some relief-- sliced onion rub, meat tenderizer,windex because it is mostly ammonia, calamine lotion.What preventitive or remedy does anyone else use and do the flies leave after a few weeks?

Jerry Lewis

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
Windex, lol have you tried it on zits? Try long sleeves and pants, and yes they do go away after a few weeks although there can still be a few hanging around. Then they have another little spurt in the fall.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
I wonder if that was what ate me alive in Anna Maria a couple of weeks ago?! I had 15-20 terribly itchy and raised bites on my arms and legs-not mosquitos and not fleas or chiggars but they took days to go away and were soooo itchy! I take allergy meds daily or I'm sure they would've been worse!!

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
Anna Maria was likely no-see-ums. Skin So Soft is a decent preventative for yellow flies but not 100%. Black beach balls sprayed with sticky spray helps pare them down, but they will be around until the end of June (maybe earlier since they seemed to come early this year).