1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Fly Bites! I'm allergic....any remedies?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Beachberbs, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Beachberbs

Beachberbs Beach Lover

I have now gotten two yellow fly bites in the last week. I must be allergic to these bugs. First I was bit on my ankle and my whole foot was swollen for several days and just when that bite cleared up I was bitten yesterday on my calf. These bites are itchy and my leg is swollen and it's real tight to the point it's very uncomfortable when I walk. Anyone have any remedies, or ways to avoid these bites. Ahhhhhh!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. sharkstooth

sharkstooth Beach Lover

They love me too! But...I recover the next day. I hear that dryer sheets, like bounce, will fend them off. Rub the sheet on exposed body and tuck a fresh one, um, somewhere. Good Luck! They are vicious!

3. AlexG

AlexG Beach Lover

Keep your leg elevated if you can, ice it, also rub lemon, it helps a bit. I just had three bites and I am very allergic.

4. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

Ice the bite, then put on hand sanitizer or ammonia.

If you react very strongly, an antihistamine is also a good idea.

And killing the yellow fly also improves your recovery!

5. destindonna

destindonna Beach Lover

Purchase a repellent called Cactus Juice. Is a great deterrent. Seacrest Sundries and Modica's Market carry it.

6. Beachberbs

Beachberbs Beach Lover

Thanks for all the advice. These guys are brutal. I don't know if they are worse this year, but this is the first time in the three years we have lived here full time that this has happened.

7. John

John Beach Fanatic

We carry the Cactus Juice at Yellowfin. It's a natural spray made from Prickly Pear cactus juice, and contains no DEET. It works well for many people as a repellant. We have it at all three locations. $9.99
    Grayton 9-4 every day
    WaterColor 9-6 every day
    Seagrove 9-6 every day

8. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

Avoid being out at dawn/dusk if possible - don't wear dark colors - it attracts thems. I think you do build up a tolerance over time or maybe I've just gotten better at avoiding them!!!

9. jpbhen

jpbhen Beach Fanatic

we swear by bugband spray repellent that we bought at the pharmacy in gulfplace. also available on amazon. Picture 1.png

10. seacrestgirl

seacrestgirl Beach Fanatic

An antihistamine will help with the reaction. Vinegar works wonders for the itching. Just swab on or put some vinegar into a bath. I feel your pain......they LOVE me! #feelingnotmutual

11. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Vinegar does help yellow fly bites. Anyone else have advice for yellow fly bites?

12. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I get lots of swelling from yellow fly bites. Applying a lot of vinegar several times removes all swelling for me.

13. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Microwave a wet washcloth, get it as hot as you can stand it and dab on the bite until you can actually hold it on there. Works on mosquito bites too.

14. gailforce

gailforce Beach Lover

I hope my helpful hints will help. Taking garlic pills as directed might help with the reaction. Washing off the bite with Dawn, then applying deodorant has helped me with itching, but nothing has been 100%. Sorry

15. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Try blowing hot air from a hair dryer on the bite(s). I was in Sanibel a few years ago and got a lot of no seeum itchy bites. I was desperate to stop the itching, and I read online that blowing a hot hair dryer on the bites makes the sting go away. It sure did - no itching for about 6 hours and I slept through the night. I also developed a sun allergy that makes me itch on my legs, arms, and neck (it sucks), but I use the hot hair blower technique and it works to stop the itching with the allergy as well. Of course, you have to be careful that you don't burn yourself with the hair blower (because you want it hot -and it actually feels strangely good to feel the sting being sucked away - really, it's strange), and I wouldn't blow a dryer on kids because I wouldn't be able to tell when hot is too hot. You'll love me for this advice :) I use cactus juice to prevent some of the biting. You can also buy these awesomely fun electric tennis rackets that electrocute the bugs - we use these at home with flies (it just stuns flies but kills mosquitos so you ahve to kill the flies after stunning them): https://www.amazon.com/Bugzoff-Elec...31701720&sr=8-14&keywords=electric+bug+zapper

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018